close
Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.
A Virginia jury has acquitted a man in the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old outside a high school basketball game in 2021.
FAMILY OF VIRGINIA BOY WHO WAS KILLED AT GRADUATION WARNED HIS SCHOOL AHEAD OF TIME, REPORT SHOWS
The Newport News Circuit Court jury took about 50 minutes last week to find Demari Batten, now 20, not guilty of manslaughter in Justice Dunham’s death, The Daily Press reported.
A Virginia jury has cleared Demari Batten of homicide charges.
The shooting happened as fans left a game at Menchville High School against Woodside High School on Dec. 14, 2021. Batten, who was 18 at the time, testified that he was in a friend’s car when Dunham and other teens attacked him and tried to grab his gun. Batten said Dunham, who was wearing a ski mask, opened the driver’s side door and was coming toward him when he fired in self-defense.
“I characterized it as a mob assault,” Mario Lorello, Batten’s attorney, said after the acquittal. “He has always stood by the fact that he believed that his life was in danger and that there was the potential for great bodily harm.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Batten faced only a manslaughter charge in last week’s retrial. He was convicted of three firearms charges in a 2022 trial, but jurors stalemated on the manslaughter charge. A sentencing date for those charges hasn’t been set and Batten remains in custody.
We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…
close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…
Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…
close Video Trump asked about Somaliland recognition at Oval Office At an Oval Office signing…
close Video Vladimir Putin making 'maximalist' demands to end Ukraine war, NATO ambassador says U.S.…
close Video Steve Witkoff touts ‘comprehensive plan’ to remediate Gaza post-peace deal Special envoy for…