Categories: World

Vatican tribunal rejects auditor’s wrongful termination lawsuit in a case that exposed dirty laundry

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for January 24

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

ROME (AP) — The Vatican tribunal has rejected a wrongful termination lawsuit brought by the Holy See’s former auditor general and ordered him to pay restitution in a case that exposed the unseemly side of Pope Francis’ financial reforms.

Libero Milone and his late deputy had sued the Holy See for 9.3 million euros, claiming they were essentially extorted by Vatican police and forced to resign in 2017 or risk arrest and prosecution for their work investigating and auditing the Holy See’s finances.

POPE FRANCIS SAYS ‘LURE OF CORRUPTION’ IS CONSTANT THREAT IN THE VATICAN

In a decision released Wednesday, the tribunal rejected their claims. The tribunal found that the main target of the lawsuit, the Vatican secretariat of state, couldn’t be held liable for the alleged harm suffered by Milone and his deputy, Ferruccio Panicco.

It ordered them to pay more than 110,000 euros in restitution to the secretariat of state and the office of the auditor general, which was also named in the lawsuit. Panicco died last year, but his estate remained as a plaintiff in the case.

A Vatican tribunal has rejected the wrongful termination suit brought by former first auditor general, Libero Milone.

Milone declined to comment late Wednesday.

In the lawsuit, the auditors said they uncovered astonishing financial malpractice in the “viper’s nest” of the Vatican after Francis began a process of financial housecleaning. They said they believed they were forced out because certain cardinals and monsignors “felt threatened by the investigations and simple requests for clarification.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

They identified Cardinal Angelo Becciu, then the powerful chief of staff in the secretariat of state, as having orchestrated their ouster. But the tribunal found that Becciu wasn’t acting in his official capacity in his dealings with them.

Becciu was recently convicted by the same tribunal of embezzlement and sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison in connection with his role in other Vatican financial dealings.

Share

Recent Posts

Fox News AI Newsletter: Fighter pilots take directions from AI

IN TODAY’S NEWSLETTER: - Fighter pilots take directions from AI in Pentagon's groundbreaking test- Google…

4 hours ago

Scammers are using DocuSign emails to push Apple Pay fraud

Phishing scams are getting smarter, and one of the latest tricks involves fake DocuSign emails…

4 hours ago

Farmers Insurance data breach exposes 1.1M Americans

Data breaches are no longer just a problem for the tech industry. They've become a…

8 hours ago

Mary Kay’s iconic pink Cadillac shifts to fully electric

Nearly 60 years ago, Mary Kay Ash was turned away by a car salesman who…

1 day ago

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

1 day ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

2 days ago