Categories: World

US briefed Ukraine ahead of Putin’s ‘experimental Intermediate-range ballistic’ attack

close Video

Russia lowers nuclear threshold after Biden allows missile strikes by Ukraine

Former CIA Chief of Station Dan Hoffman joins ‘America’s Newsroom’ to discuss Putin lowering Russia’s nuclear threshold.

A U.S. official on Thursday confirmed to Fox News Digital that Ukrainian authorities were briefed ahead of the “experimental Intermediate-range ballistic” attack that this type of weapon may be used against it in order to help them prepare for such an attack.

Russian President Vladimir Putin confirmed the attack Thursday evening local time in an address to the nation and said it was in direct response to the U.S. and U.K. jointly approving Ukraine’s use of Western-supplied long-range missiles to target Russia.

It remains unclear if there were any casualties in the attack on the city of Dnipro, which was originally reported as an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), and which would have marked the first time such a weapon had been used during a time of war, sending panic across the globe. 

1,000 DAYS OF WAR IN UKRAINE AS ZELENSKYY DOUBLES DOWN ON AERIAL OPTIONS WITH ATACMS, DRONES AND MISSILES

Putin and U.S. sources have since confirmed the strike was not an ICBM, but the Kremlin chief also claimed that the weapon used poses a significant challenge for Western nations. 

“The missiles attack targets at a speed of MACH 10. That’s 2.5 miles per second,” Putin said according to a translation. “The world’s current air defense systems and the missile defense systems developed by the Americans in Europe do not intercept such missiles.”

Fox News Digital could not immediately verify whether the U.S. or its NATO allies are capable of defending against this latest missile, dubbed the Oreshnik. 

But according to one U.S. official, Putin may be playing up his abilities in a move to intimidate the West and Ukraine. 

In this photo taken from video distributed by Russian Defense Ministry Press Service on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2024, a Yars intercontinental ballistic missile is test-fired in northwestern Russia. (Russian Defense Ministry Press Service via AP)

“While we take all threats against Ukraine seriously, it is important to keep a few key facts in mind: Russia likely possesses only a handful of these experimental missiles,” the official told Fox News Digital. “Ukraine has withstood countless attacks from Russia, including from missiles with significantly larger warheads than this weapon.

“Let me be clear: Russia may be seeking to use this capability to try to intimidate Ukraine and its supporters, or generate attention in the information space, but it will not be a game-changer in this conflict,” the official added. 

US EMBASSY IN KYIV CLOSED AS ‘POTENTIAL SIGNIFICANT AIR ATTACK’ LOOMS

Following President Biden’s position reversal this week to allow Ukraine to use U.S.-supplied long-range Army Tactical Missile Systems (ATACMS) against the Russian homeland, Kyiv immediately levied strikes against a military arsenal in the Russian region of Bryansk, more than 70 miles from Ukraine’s border. 

While Ukrainian troops are the ones to officially fire the sophisticated missiles, the weapons system still relies on U.S. satellites to hit their target – an issue Putin touched on in his unannounced speech Thursday. 

“We are testing the Oreshnik missile systems in combat conditions in response to NATO countries’ aggressive actions against Russia. We will decide on the further deployment of intermediate-range and shorter-range missiles depending on the actions of the U.S. and its satellites,” he said.

CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Firefighters work at the site of a Russian missile strike in Dnipro, Ukraine, on Nov. 21, 2024. (Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk region/Handout via Reuters)

Putin claimed Russia will alert Ukrainian citizens of an impending attack like the strike he carried out on Thursday, though it remains unclear if he issued a warning to the Ukrainians living in Dnipro. 

The Kremlin chief said the “defense industry” was targeted, though images released by the Ukrainian ministry of defense showed what appeared to be civilian infrastructure was also caught in the fray. 

The Pentagon on Thursday confirmed that Russia informed the U.S. of the impending attack, which corresponds with information obtained by Fox News Digital, but it is unclear if Moscow clarified which Ukrainian city was the intended target.

A U.S. official told Fox News Digital that the U.S. is committed to helping Ukraine bolster its air defense systems and has done so already by supplying Ukraine with hundreds of additional Patriot and Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles. 

Caitlin McFall is a Reporter at Fox News Digital covering Politics, U.S. and World news.

Share

Recent Posts

Mary Kay’s iconic pink Cadillac shifts to fully electric

Nearly 60 years ago, Mary Kay Ash was turned away by a car salesman who…

14 hours ago

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

17 hours ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

1 day ago

Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 day ago

Jobs that are most at risk from AI, according to Microsoft

Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…

2 days ago

Is Trump considering bold Africa play to push back on China, Russia and Islamic terrorists?

close Video Trump asked about Somaliland recognition at Oval Office At an Oval Office signing…

2 days ago