Categories: U.S.

Surveillance video shows California homeless woman set on fire in horrific attack

close Video

Disturbing video shows a homeless woman set on fire in alleged attack

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office said the 49-year-old homeless woman had severe burn injuries. (Credit: Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office)

Video shows a driver pulling over her car and setting a homeless woman on fire before allegedly kicking the burned victim and fleeing in her vehicle.

Disturbing surveillance footage shows the suspect — identified as 34-year-old Jacqueline Popaibarra — turning her car down a quiet street in South Sacramento April 26 before stopping next to a homeless encampment. 

Popaibarra got out of her vehicle and began to argue with the 49-year-old homeless victim, who had just set up to sleep for the night, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office.

POLICE TAKE DOWN STABBING, ARSON SUSPECT AT MARYLAND’S NATIONAL HARBOR

Surveillance video shows the suspect turning her car down a quiet street in South Sacramento April 26 before stopping next to a homeless encampment on the corner. (Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office)

The suspect then allegedly threw a liquid — presumed to be a fire accelerant — onto the victim and set her on fire. 

MAN SET ON FIRE IN HEART OF NEW YORK CITY’S TIMES SQUARE, SUSPECT AT LARGE: REPORT

As bystanders helped put out the fire, Popaibarra proceeded to kick the severely-burned woman, before calmly walking back to her car and fleeing, police said.

The victim had burns covering one-third of her body, including her face, arms, torso and back. (Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office)

The victim had burns to one-third of her body after the alleged attack, including on her face, arms, torso and back.

US SERVICE MEMBER SETS HIMSELF ON FIRE OUTSIDE ISRAELI EMBASSY IN DC

The homeless woman was taken to a hospital and intubated for several days, leaving her unable to speak or provide law enforcement with a statement, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office.

Popaibarra is in custody on $400,000 bail for the alleged attack. (Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office)

The victim positively identified Popaibarra, who has since been arrested on an unrelated robbery charge, as her assailant Tuesday. 

Popaibarra is in custody on $400,000 bail for the alleged attack.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Sophia Compton is a Digital Production Assistant at Fox News Digital. Sophia was previously a business reporter covering finance, energy and tourism and has experience as a TV news producer. She graduated with a journalism degree in 2021 from the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Share

Recent Posts

Mary Kay’s iconic pink Cadillac shifts to fully electric

Nearly 60 years ago, Mary Kay Ash was turned away by a car salesman who…

14 hours ago

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

17 hours ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

1 day ago

Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 day ago

Jobs that are most at risk from AI, according to Microsoft

Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…

2 days ago

Is Trump considering bold Africa play to push back on China, Russia and Islamic terrorists?

close Video Trump asked about Somaliland recognition at Oval Office At an Oval Office signing…

2 days ago