Categories: World

Sudan conflict fueling ‘humanitarian emergency of epic proportions’: UN

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for August 25

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

The conflict in Sudan is fueling “a humanitarian emergency of epic proportions” that threatens the entire country, the U.N. humanitarian chief warned on Friday.

Martin Griffiths also said that the protracted conflict in the African country “could tip the entire region into a humanitarian catastrophe.”

Some places are already out of food, said Griffiths, the U.N. undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs. He added that hundreds of thousands of Sudanese children are severely malnourished “and at imminent risk of death if left untreated.”

CONFLICT IN SUDAN LEADS TO 3.1 MILLION PEOPLE DISPLACED, UN SAYS

“A long conflict will almost certainly lead to a lost generation of children as millions miss out on education, endure trauma, and bear the physical and psychological scars of war,” he said, and described reports of children being used to fight as “deeply disturbing.”

Smoke is seen in Khartoum, Sudan, Wednesday, April 19, 2023. Warring factions trying to seize control of the East African nation of Sudan have plunged the country into chaos. (AP Photo/Marwan Ali)

Sudan was plunged into chaos in mid-April when months of simmering tensions between the military, led by Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, exploded into open fighting in the capital of Khartoum and elsewhere.

The fighting is estimated to have killed at least 4,000 people, according to the U.N. human rights office, though activists and doctors on the ground say the death toll is likely far higher. More than 4.3 million people have been displaced, including some 3.2 million within the country, according to the U.N. refugee agency.

UN PASSES RESOLUTION TO ADDRESS SUDAN’S HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS

The United Nations and rights groups have accused both the military and the RSF of numerous human rights violations, including sexual violence. The warring parties have rejected the accusations. Last week, 20 U.N. agencies and international organizations called for peace, access to deliver humanitarian aid, and respect for human rights.

Griffiths echoed these calls in a statement and said “the international community needs to respond with the urgency this crisis deserves.”

He said the intense fighting has not only ravaged Khartoum and the western Darfur region but has also spread to South Kordofan and is moving closer to Jazira province, the country’s breadbasket.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In South Kordofan’s capital, Kadugli, food stocks have been completely depleted “as clashes and road blockages prevent aid workers from reaching the hungry,” he said, and in West Kordofan’s capital, al-Fula, “humanitarian offices have been ransacked and supplies looted.”

Share

Recent Posts

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

3 hours ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

18 hours ago

Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…

21 hours ago

Jobs that are most at risk from AI, according to Microsoft

Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…

22 hours ago

Is Trump considering bold Africa play to push back on China, Russia and Islamic terrorists?

close Video Trump asked about Somaliland recognition at Oval Office At an Oval Office signing…

1 day ago

Russian attack kills 10, injures 38 others in Kyiv, Ukrainian officials say

close Video Vladimir Putin making 'maximalist' demands to end Ukraine war, NATO ambassador says U.S.…

1 day ago