Categories: U.S.

Skydiver plummets to death in Arizona, marks second parachutist death in 8 days

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for February 2

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

A 46-year-old Arizona man died while skydiving Saturday after authorities say he suffered a “hard landing” when his parachute did not deploy, an incident that comes just eight days after the death of another parachutist in the same area.

Officers found Shawn Bowen of Gibert, Arizona, dead from injuries he sustained during the landing near Hanna and Tweedy Road after receiving reports of a parachutist “experiencing a hard landing,” the Eloy Police Department said.

Bowen jumped around 11:40 a.m. using “a wingsuit-type apparatus,” police said, citing preliminary information. 

“During freefall, for reasons that remain unknown at this time, his parachute did not deploy, resulting in fatal impact,” police said.

EXPERIENCED SKYDIVER PLUMMETS TO HER DEATH DESPITE PARACHUTE ‘FULLY DEPLOYING AS DESIGNED’

Shawn Bowen, 46, died after his suffered a hard landing when his parachute did not deploy in Eloy, Arizona, on Saturday, police said. (iStock)

Investigators are interviewing witnesses and coordinating with the Federal Aviation Administration, (FAA), which it says is standard practice.

Police said Bowen’s wife had been notified of his death. 

An autopsy was scheduled for later in the week as police continue to investigate any factors that contributed to the accident.

Police said they are investigating the deaths of two parachutists that occurred eight days apart in Eloy, Arizona. (iStock)

Bowen’s death comes just eight days after police in Eloy responded to the death of another parachutist.

73-YEAR-OLD MAN DIES IN SKYDIVING INCIDENT IN ARIZONA AFTER HIS PARACHUTE FAILED TO FULLY DEPLOY

Ann Wick, a 55-year-old Minnesota resident, died while parachuting at Skydive Arizona on Jan. 24 in Eloy after experiencing complications during the descent, police have said.

Skydive Arizona said at the time that eyewitness accounts indicated the free fall phase of Wick’s skydive appeared normal, with the parachute deploying as expected. Despite the parachute deploying fully as designed, observers noted the “canopy was turning,” the company said.

CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The witnesses told the company the parachutist did not appear to take corrective actions, and a reserve parachute was not deployed.

Fox News Digital’s Greg Wehner contributed to this report.

Share

Recent Posts

5 trendy tech words shaping today’s internet culture

If your social media feed feels noisier, stranger or more manipulated than it used to,…

11 hours ago

Tax season scams 2026: Fake IRS messages stealing identities

Tax season no longer begins in April. For scammers, it starts the moment the calendar…

14 hours ago

Criminals are using Zillow to plan break-ins. Here’s how to remove your home in 10 minutes.

The whole country is watching the Nancy Guthrie case. When the suspected kidnapping happened, I…

1 day ago

Don’t ignore Apple’s urgent security update

If you use an iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch or Apple TV, listen up. Apple…

1 day ago

Substack data breach exposes emails and phone numbers

If you read newsletters to stay informed, here is an update worth paying attention to.…

2 days ago

Wearable robotics are changing how we walk and run

When you hear the word robotics, you probably think of factory machines or humanoid robots…

2 days ago