Categories: U.S.

Maine man sentenced to 25 years for death of infant son; Case renews criticism of state’s child welfare agency

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for August 17

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

  • 30-year-old Reginald Melvin has been sentenced to 25 years for the death of his 1-year-old son.
  • Melvin has previously faced a series of domestic violence charges, and reportedly threatened to kill the child and her mother.
  • The case has renewed criticism of Maine’s child welfare agency.

A father who’d faced a series of domestic violence charges was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the death of his 1-year-old son in a case that renewed criticism of Maine’s child welfare agency.

Reginald Melvin, 30, of Milo, was sentenced Wednesday after entering a plea that had a similar consequence to a guilty plea to a charge of manslaughter. Under an agreement, prosecutors dropped a murder charge. His son, Sylus, died in August 2021 from blunt force trauma that left him with multiple internal injuries, according to the state medical examiner.

Sylus’ mother, Desiree Newbert, said she reported to the Department of Health and Human Services that Melvin threatened to kill the family including her, Sylus, and her daughter. But that a caseworker never returned her call or visited the family. Melvin had been previously charged multiple times with domestic violence.

OPPONENTS TO NEW MAINE ABORTION LAW WON’T ATTEMPT TO NULLIFY THROUGH SO-CALLED PEOPLE’S VETO

Former state Sen. Bill Diamond accused the agency of “leaving vulnerable children in dangerous situations despite repeated warnings by family members and others that children are not safe.” The family had six different caseworkers after Sylus’ birth, and none of them compared notes with each other, Diamond said.

Reginald Melvin, above, was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the death of his 1-year-old son in a case that renewed criticism of Maine’s child welfare agency. (Piscataquis County Jail via AP)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The infant’s death was one of several dozen flagged by the Office of Children and Family Services, part of the Maine DHHS. A spokesperson didn’t immediately return a message from The Associated Press.

Share

Recent Posts

Elon Musk teases a future run by robots

Elon Musk has shared a new, alarming video on social media that paints a world…

2 hours ago

Chinese hackers turned AI tools into an automated attack machine

Cybersecurity has been reshaped by the rapid rise of advanced artificial intelligence tools, and recent…

19 hours ago

Apple Watch sleep score: What your number really means

Apple added a new Sleep Score feature that gives you a single number to sum…

1 day ago

Find a lost phone that is off or dead

Losing your phone can leave you in panic mode, especially when the battery dies. The…

2 days ago

Fox News AI Newsletter: How to stop AI from scanning your email

IN TODAY’S NEWSLETTER: - How to stop Google AI from scanning your Gmail- IRS to…

2 days ago

America’s most-used password in 2025 revealed

Passwords play a huge role in how you stay safe online. They protect your accounts,…

2 days ago