Categories: World

Israel shoots down Houthi ballistic missile after ceasefire collapses

close Video

Israel says its Gaza strikes have killed Hamas’ head of government

Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst reports on Israel’s claims it eliminated Hamas’ head of government.

The Israeli military said it intercepted a ballistic missile launched by Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen on Tuesday, the terror group’s first attack on the Jewish state following the collapse of a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed that sirens sounded in southern Israel after a missile launched from Yemen. The Israeli Air Force said it intercepted the missile before it crossed into Israeli territory.

President Donald Trump’s ordering of U.S. strikes against the Houthis in Yemen over the weekend is believed to have deterred the terror group from resuming an attack on Israel sooner and with greater volume, IDF sources told the Jerusalem Post. 

Nearly a quarter-million people were sent to bomb shelters across the central and southern desert Negev region as a precaution due to shrapnel from the interception Tuesday, Fox News has learned. 

CEASEFIRE OVER AS ISRAEL STRIKES GAZA AFTER HAMAS REFUSES TO RELEASE HOSTAGES, OFFICIALS SAY

Houthi supporters chant slogans during an anti-U.S. and anti-Israel rally in Sana’a, Yemen, March 17, 2025. (AP Photo/Osamah Abdulrahman)

The Houthi attack came hours after the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas crumbled over what U.S. officials said was the terror organization’s refusal to release more Israeli hostages.

There are still 59 hostages in Gaza, but Israel believes only 24 of those who remain are alive.

Smoke rises after an Israeli bombardment in the northern Gaza Strip on March 18, 2025. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)

Israel bombarded the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, eliminating the head of the Hamas government and other key terrorist leaders. 

TRUMP’S SIGHTS SET ON IRAN AFTER US AIRSTRIKES DECIMATE MORE THAN 30 HOUTHI TARGETS

At least 404 Palestinians, including women and children, have been killed in the Israeli airstrikes so far, according to the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry. The death toll has not been independently verified.

Video

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with security officials at the Kirya, Israel’s version of the Pentagon, on Tuesday during the airstrikes. 

CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Israel will, from now on, act against Hamas with increasing military strength,” Netanyahu’s office wrote in a series of posts on X as the airstrikes commenced.

Fox News’ Yonat Friling, Rachel Wolf, Louis Casiano, Landon Mion and Anders Hagstrom contributed to this report.

Share

Recent Posts

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

46 minutes ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

16 hours ago

Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…

18 hours ago

Jobs that are most at risk from AI, according to Microsoft

Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…

20 hours ago

Is Trump considering bold Africa play to push back on China, Russia and Islamic terrorists?

close Video Trump asked about Somaliland recognition at Oval Office At an Oval Office signing…

1 day ago

Russian attack kills 10, injures 38 others in Kyiv, Ukrainian officials say

close Video Vladimir Putin making 'maximalist' demands to end Ukraine war, NATO ambassador says U.S.…

1 day ago