Categories: World

Brazil again extends visa exemptions for US, Canada and Australia, this time until 2025

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for April 10

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazil’s government extended exemptions to tourist visa requirements for citizens of the U.S., Australia and Canada until April 2025, extending a program aimed at boosting tourism that had been scheduled to end Wednesday.

The decision, issued by Brazilian presidency and the Ministry of Foreign Relations late Tuesday, marks the third time Brazil has delayed the visa requirement since President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva took office in 2023.

BRAZIL SUPREME COURT JUSTICE ORDERS INVESTIGATION OF ELON MUSK OVER ALLEGED FAKE NEWS AND OBSTRUCTION

His predecessor, Jair Bolsonaro, exempted the countries from visas as a means to boost tourism — although all three countries continued to demand visas from Brazilians.

A tourist takes a selfie with the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Nov. 25, 2017. Brazil’s government has postponed until April 2025 tourist visa exemptions for citizens of the U.S., Australia, and Canada that had been scheduled to end on Wednesday, according to a decree published in the nation’s official gazette.  (AP Photo/Bruna Prado)

That went against the South American country’s tradition of requiring visas from travelers based on the principle of reciprocity and equal treatment, and prompted Lula’s Foreign Ministry to say it would scrap the exemptions.

“Brazil does not grant unilateral exemption from visiting visas, without reciprocity, to other countries,” the ministry said at the time, while noting that the government stood ready to negotiate visa waiver agreements on a reciprocal basis. It did reach a deal with Japan to ease travel provisions.

The decision to maintain exemptions for the three countries is important for boosting tourism in Brazil, notably from the U.S., Brazil’s official tourism board Embratur said in a statement Tuesday.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Official data shows that nearly 670,000 Americans visited Brazil in 2023, making the U.S. the second largest country of origin after neighboring Argentina.

The government initially postponed the reinstatement of the visa requirement in October, then again in January. At the time, the government said it was still finalizing a new visa system and wanted to avoid implementing it close to the high season, mainly during the New Year’s celebrations and Carnival festivities in February, which attract tens of thousands of tourists.

Share

Recent Posts

Experts warn AI stuffed animals could ‘fundamentally change’ human brain wiring in kids

Do AI chatbots packaged inside plush animals really help children, or do they threaten vital…

49 minutes ago

Anonymous researcher exposes politicians’ hidden Spotify playlists, including Vance, Leavitt and Bondi

Vice President JD Vance is a big fan of the Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That…

49 minutes ago

Fox News AI Newsletter: Fighter pilots take directions from AI

IN TODAY’S NEWSLETTER: - Fighter pilots take directions from AI in Pentagon's groundbreaking test- Google…

1 day ago

Scammers are using DocuSign emails to push Apple Pay fraud

Phishing scams are getting smarter, and one of the latest tricks involves fake DocuSign emails…

1 day ago

Farmers Insurance data breach exposes 1.1M Americans

Data breaches are no longer just a problem for the tech industry. They've become a…

1 day ago

Mary Kay’s iconic pink Cadillac shifts to fully electric

Nearly 60 years ago, Mary Kay Ash was turned away by a car salesman who…

2 days ago