Categories: World

Argentina police arrest suspect who killed 11-year-old boy during a birthday party

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for March 7

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

Police detained a man on suspicion of killing an 11-year-old boy and neighbors wrecked his home Monday amid anger over escalating drug violence in the Argentine city of Rosario, where a threat was directed at soccer superstar Lionel Messi last week.

Máximo Jerez was killed early Sunday when at least one gunmen attacked a birthday party. Three other children, including a 2-year-old, were injured.

Hours after Máximo was buried Monday, people in the northern Rosario neighborhood where the alleged shooter lived attacked his home.

ARIZONA WOMAN CHARGED WITH 43 COUNTS OF ANIMAL CRUELTY: POLICE

Local news channels carried live images of people setting fires and throwing rocks at the home of the suspect, who at one point had a gun in his hand and appeared to fire it.

Police detained the man and then had to prevent people from attacking him. Once the suspect was taken away, neighbors destroyed his home and stole his belongings.

Police in riot gear protect a suspected gunman from his neighbors after an 11-year-old boy was killed in Rosario, Argentina, on March 6, 2023.  (AP Photo/Rodrigo Abd)

“We don’t want another Máximo in the neighborhood, we’re so tired of everything, tired that they rob us and that our children die,” Antonia Jerez, the boy’s aunt, told local news media. “My nephew is no longer here, they killed him and the whole neighborhood is in mourning, angry.”

People destroyed at least 3 houses in the area they claimed were used by drug dealers.

FIRST OF FOUR AMERICANS KIDNAPPED IN MEXICO HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED

The killing was the latest dramatic turn for a city where drug-related killings have become common with a level of violence that is rare for Argentina.

Adrián Spelta, the prosecutor in charge of investigating the case, told local news media that the killing had to do with a turf war between rival drug gangs.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Certain limits that used to exist have been crossed,” Spelta said, noting that in other occasions “the presence of minors” would have led gang members to “suspend any kind of violent attack.”

The troubles in Rosario received international attention when gunmen threatened Messi in a written message left Thursday after they fired at a supermarket owned by his in-laws. Nobody was injured in the early morning attack.

Share

Recent Posts

Farmers Insurance data breach exposes 1.1M Americans

Data breaches are no longer just a problem for the tech industry. They've become a…

5 minutes ago

Mary Kay’s iconic pink Cadillac shifts to fully electric

Nearly 60 years ago, Mary Kay Ash was turned away by a car salesman who…

20 hours ago

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

23 hours ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

2 days ago

Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…

2 days ago

Jobs that are most at risk from AI, according to Microsoft

Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…

2 days ago