Categories: U.S.

3 Florida residents file lawsuit alleging inadequate notification of health insurance termination

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for August 22

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

Three Florida residents filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday, alleging that state agencies aren’t adequately notifying low-income and disabled people that their public health insurance is ending.

The class-action lawsuit was filed in Jacksonville federal court by the Florida Health Justice Project and the National Health Law Program on behalf of the three Floridians, according to court records. The defendants are the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration and the Florida Department of Children and Families.

The agencies didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment.

More than 182,000 Floridians have been issued termination notices since April, when a coronavirus policy that banned states from dropping people from Medicaid ended, while hundreds of thousands more are expected to lose coverage over the next year, the residents claim in the lawsuit.

Many of the low-income people who are losing coverage have no idea whether the state is making the right decision or how to challenge their loss of coverage, they argue. The residents are asking for an end to the current notification process and for coverage to be reinstated to people who previously received the faulty termination notices.

FLORIDA BRAWL AT CHICKEN WING RESTAURANT TRIGGERED AFTER 5 WOMEN CLOGGED TOILET: POLICE

Three individuals from Florida contend that state agencies are failing to sufficiently inform low-income and disabled individuals about the impending termination of their public health insurance. (Fox News)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The state agencies have known since 2018 that the notices were confusing but have continued to use them, leaving many without coverage for critical care, prescriptions, vaccinations and postpartum care, Sarah Grusin, an attorney for the National Health Law Program, said in a statement.

“Fundamental due process requires the State to ensure that people receive adequate, meaningful notice of the State’s decision and the opportunity to challenge it before coverage is terminated,” Grusin said. “This is not happening.”

The National Health Law Program said this is the first lawsuit amid the nationwide Medicaid unwinding, with nearly 4 million people across the U.S. being cut from Medicaid since this spring.

Amanda Avery, another attorney for the National Health Law Program, said in a statement that the scope of Florida’s terminations is particularly egregious but that similar patterns are seen in many other states.

“For months, advocates have been warning state and federal agencies that the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency and the Medicaid unwinding process would lead to massive coverage losses for people who are still eligible for Medicaid,” Aver said. “We are seeing that play out in real time.”

Share

Recent Posts

Mary Kay’s iconic pink Cadillac shifts to fully electric

Nearly 60 years ago, Mary Kay Ash was turned away by a car salesman who…

5 hours ago

Hackers found a way to turn off Windows Defender remotely

Most modern Windows PCs rely on Microsoft Defender as their first line of defense against…

8 hours ago

Cybersecurity expert reveals simple trick to stop companies from tracking your online shopping

We're conditioned to think our email address is harmless. Most of us think it's just…

23 hours ago

Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for August 28 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 day ago

Jobs that are most at risk from AI, according to Microsoft

Right now, many people are worried that artificial intelligence (AI) is coming for their jobs.…

1 day ago

Is Trump considering bold Africa play to push back on China, Russia and Islamic terrorists?

close Video Trump asked about Somaliland recognition at Oval Office At an Oval Office signing…

1 day ago