Boris Johnson’s phone was reportedly seized by spooks (Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Get UK politics insight with our free daily email briefing straight to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Boris Johnson has been stripped of his mobile phone by "officials" – reportedly over MI5 security concerns.

It emerged in April that the PM's personal mobile number had been available on the internet for the last 15 years.

A contact number for the Prime Minister was listed on the bottom of a press release when he was still shadow higher education minister in 2006.

That document was still available online in 2021, after some 15 years.

The number stopped working shortly after the publication was revealed – with attempts to call the number on met with an automated message saying the phone was "switched off" and an invitation to "please try later or send a text".

And according to the Mail on Sunday, spooks had the phone taken away from the PM over fears of a potential hack attack from hostile states.

Spooks are reportedly concerned about a hack attack from hostile states
(Image: Getty Images)

Number 10 reportedly accepted the phone had been confiscated, but said it had been seized by "officials."

The Prime Minister's use of his mobile phone has been in the spotlight recently after Dominic Cummings published WhatsApp exchanges with the Prime Minister – where Mr Johnson described Health Secretary Matt Haancock as "totally f****ing hopeless".

Read More
Related Articles


  • Dominic Cummings releases bombshell Boris Johnson texts branding Matt Hancock 'hopeless'

Read More
Related Articles


  • 'Hopeless' Matt Hancock may be cleared of lying over care home Covid tests

He was also under fire over his text message exchanges with entrepreneur Sir James Dyson and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman were leaked.

And the Mirror revealed in March that Mr Johnson and Jennifer Arcuri had exchanged sexy texts using the phone number.

Ms Arcuri said they exchanged sexual messages including an “arty” picture of her topless – which Boris described as “enough to make a bishop kick through a stained-glass window”.

Read More
Related Articles


  • Boris Johnson's mobile number was freely available online for 15 years, say reports

On one occasion, in November 2015, he sent a "desperate" plea for an intimate photo of her, while they were both in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Texts seen by the Mirror show they discussed meeting at the King David Hotel, where Johnson was a guest of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Johnson wanted to see pictures of Jennifer, texting: “Photo x.”

She asks playfully: “Is that a statement or a request? ;-)”. Johnson replies: “It is a desperate request xxx.”