Image source, Getty ImagesImage caption, Prosecutor Céline Maigné (L) said the girl had been found alive and was receiving medical care

A teenage girl who disappeared while jogging in north-west France but was found alive after a huge hunt has said she escaped an attempting kidnapping.

The 17-year-old was found in a state of shock in a takeaway about 10km (six miles) from where she had gone running.

She was receiving medical care after vanishing on Monday in the Mayenne region, east of Rennes.

French media reports say she told police she had been held captive by kidnappers but managed to flee.

Prosecutors said a kidnapping investigation had been opened and a man had been questioned in custody but released without charge.

The teenager, a regular runner who has not been named, left her home for the local Bellebranche forest at around 16:00 on Monday.

The girl's father went looking for her after she failed to return home, and called the police three hours later. When searching his daughter's running route, the father found her phone and GPS watch, with traces of blood.

Investigators searching for the girl examined data from her running app, which showed her jog had abruptly ended in a rural area.

A search involving some 200 police officers, rescue dogs, divers and a helicopter was launched.

Image source, Getty ImagesImage caption, A large search involving some 200 police officers was launched after the girl went missing

Prior to the girl being found, local prosecutor Céline Maigné told reporters that she had opened a kidnapping inquiry but "no line of investigation" was being ruled out.

On Wednesday, Ms Maigné said a man who was arrested while intoxicated on Monday evening was released and was no longer a suspect. He had been been questioned in custody to clarify some inconsistencies in initial statements made to officers.

French media reports say the girl was not able to identify her captors, nor the place where they attempted to abduct her.

The BFM TV channel said the girl had blood on her when she entered a kebab restaurant at about 20:00 on Tuesday.

The channel said it spoke to a witness who lives near the restaurant.

The witness said the girl "escaped from the vehicle of her kidnapper and found refuge" in the takeaway. The girl asked for help and "suddenly the kidnapper fled", the witness said.

Local prosecutors said investigations into the girl's disappearance would continue.

The local mayor, André Boisseau, thanked police for finding the girl.

"This is very good news and I hope she recovers quickly," the mayor said.