Vicky was just 17 when she was killed (Image: Press Association)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Detectives investigating an unsolved murder of a 17-year-old schoolgirl who went missing more than 20 years ago have made an arrest.

Vicky Hall was strangled and dumped in a water-filled ditch after she disappeared while walking home from a nightclub in Felixstowe, Suffolk, early on September 19, 1999.

A Porsche-driving businessman was cleared of her murder in November 2001 after a two week trial at Norwich Crown Court.

The case was reopened on the 20th anniversary of her death after police received new "information from witnesses" which they described at the time as "significant".

Suffolk Police confirmed today that s man had been arrested on suspicion of murder and had been taken into custody for questioning.

The man had not previously been arrested in the inquiry.

Vicky left her home in Faulkeners Way in Trimley St Mary, at 9pm on September 18, 1999, to join friends at the Bandbox nightclub in Felixstowe.

Vicky's parents Lorinda and Graham Hall and her best friend Gemma Algar in 2001
(Image: PA)

She left the club with her best friend Gemma Algar, 17, at 1am the next morning, stopping to buy chips from the Bodrum Grill takeaway.

The pair walked back along Trimley High Road towards their respective homes while eating chips and singing, before splitting up at the junction of Faulkeners Way at 2.20am.

A short time later Gemma heard screams, but assumed it was someone messing around.

Vicky's parents Graham and Lorinda Hall reported her missing in the morning and a huge hunt for her got underway.

Her naked body was found by a dog walker on September 24 in a water-filled ditch around 20 miles away in Creeting St Peter near Stowmarket, Suffolk.

Tests revealed that Vicky who had just started her second year of studying A levels at Orwell High School, Felixstowe, had not been sexually assaulted.

Adrian Bradshaw, then aged 27, who owned the Felixstowe Flyer free newspaper was charged with murder after one of the biggest ever investigations to be undertaken by Suffolk Police.

He had spent part of the night at the same club as Vicky and was dropped off by a taxi a few hundred yards from where she disappeared.

CCTV of Vicky on the night she died
(Image: Press Association)

Other witnesses also heard "horrifying" screams followed by the roar of a "throaty" car exhaust, which prosecutors claimed was from Bradshaw's Porsche 944.

The prosecution also alleged there was a near match between soil samples recovered from his car and the ditch where Vicky's body was found.

But the evidence was undermined when a geologist called by the defence said the sample could have come from elsewhere in East Anglia.

As a result jurors took less than 90 minutes to find Bradshaw not guilty.

A Suffolk Police statement said today: "In September 2019, Suffolk Police revealed that the case – known as Operation Avon – was now a live inquiry again and being fully reinvestigated by a new team of detectives, after fresh information had been received that was not previously known.

"As a result of the work that has been ongoing for the past two years, officers have arrested a man on suspicion of murder this morning, Wednesday 28 July.

"He has been taken into police custody where he currently remains for questioning. This individual is not someone who has previously been arrested as part of this inquiry."

The new investigation into Vicky's murder was announced in September 2019 by Detective Chief Inspector Caroline Millar of Suffolk Police.

At Norwich Crown Court after the 2001 trial
(Image: PA)

She said at the time that it was "quite possible" that someone was protecting the killer, and appealed for them to come forward.

Asked about the nature of the information received by police, she said: "I can say it is information from witnesses."

She added: "The information is now part of our main lines of inquiry which we are actively pursuing.

"We have never forgotten Victoria Hall and we will never forget Victoria Hall.

"Relationships have changed, things have moved on. If you didn't phone in 1999 or come forward with information, please do so now. It is never too late.

"The new information and reopening the investigation has given renewed hope that 20 years on we will finally get justice for Victoria and her family.

"The commitment which was there in 1999 is still there. We haven't forgotten her and we are not going to. We are determined to see this through."

Mr Hall, 67, said in 2019 that he and his wife were told six months previously about the new police leads.

He said: "It was a complete surprise. I am very confident that this new team will pursue it to the end. It has been very positive over the last few months.

"I am very hopeful that with this appeal, someone is going to think its time they should come forward and say this is what happened, this person was here and they weren't where they told the police they were at the time."

"All the time, we felt that something would happen and someone would come forward and say, 'I know something'. Hopefully this time, people will now feel it is time to say what they know."

Vicky was just 17
(Image: PA)

Mr Hall said it was quite possible that witnesses may have given bogus information to the original murder inquiry due to "false loyalties"

Mr Hall said that the anniversary of his daughter's murder was "always painful", particularly as it happened just two weeks before her 18th birthday.

He said: "It's a tough time to go through. Other people's memories fade over time, but to us every day we think about Victoria. It doesn't seem like 20-years-ago. It seems like yesterday. It is a tough two weeks. It is not particularly easy."

Describing his daughter, he said: "She was a fun loving teenager who liked to go out in the evenings. She was an intelligent girl who was working hard, hopefully to go to university. She was a normal 17-year-old girl.

"We obviously see her friends who were the same age and you do wonder what Victoria would be doing at this stage and what she would have achieved in the last 20 years, and what she would have done with her life.

Vicky Hall, taken at the Bandbox nightclub in Felixstowe, two weeks before her disappearance
(Image: Press Association)

"The person that evening took all of that way from all of us, but they will have to live with that. Hopefully, there will be pressure put on them again now. Hopefully they can't put up with it any longer because it will keep coming back to haunt them every year."

Mrs Hall, 63, made a direct appeal to witnesses, saying: "If they remember even the slightest thing, it could seem insignificant to them, but for the police it could be the biggest thing going, so just phone up and let them know."

Speaking of what her daughter should be doing now, she said: "I would like to have hopefully seen her married with children, but that has been taken away from us."

Mrs Hall conceded that the killer could still be living in the Felixstowe area.

She said: "It's not so much that the person might still be round here. It's that this person has put us through this. You have got to live with that.

"You've destroyed, our lives, not only our daughter's, and every close family member and her friends. Being near or far, doesn't really come into it because the hurt and pain is there."