Premier League football fans who have not been fully vaccinated could be barred from attending matches from October under plans expected to be signed off by ministers, The Telegraph can disclose.

The mandatory requirement is expected to extend to the autumn rugby internationals, major concerts, and spectator events of 20,000 or more as part of Boris Johnson’s efforts to turn Covid-19 into a “manageable menace”.

A social media campaign aimed at boosting uptake among 18-30 year-olds will also be ramped up, linking vaccination to the ability to go on holiday, as three million of them are yet to receive a single dose.

The NHS booster jab rollout will deliver 35 million doses to over-50s and the most vulnerable over 13 weeks from Sep 6 to save the country from another lockdown this winter.

Government sources told The Telegraph officials have entered talks with the Premier League over potentially moving to mandatory double vaccination status for supporters attending matches, as part of the drive to keep the country moving in the run up to Christmas. 

Senior ministers have told The Telegraph that the change now appears increasingly likely, although decisions have not yet been finalised.

Premier League ‘early adopters’ 

One source added that the Premier League has signalled that clubs are keen to become “early adopters” of the more restrictive vaccine passport in order to keep grounds at full capacity moving into winter.

Should clubs agree to voluntarily adopt vaccination status as a requirement of entry, it is expected that ministers will refrain from pushing ahead with making it compulsory, although sources stressed that “nothing is off the table”.

Currently, large venues are being encouraged to adopt Covid status certification, which requires customers to present proof of double vaccination, a recent negative test, or a positive test taken in the previous six months.

The pace of the UK's vaccination roll-out is slowing

The prospect of requiring full vaccination is likely to be challenged by some fans, as the events research programme, which included the Euros final at Wembley, was based on testing and vaccination status.

However, there are concerns among some in Government that testing is becoming increasingly problematic, as the results are easier to fake.

The events research programme findings also revealed that initial pilots of large-scale events had been compromised due to low compliance with the testing requirements.

The ‘Euros spike’

A so-called "Euros spike" has been blamed for seeing cases accelerate in England during the international football tournament, with figures suggesting this week that infections are levelling off.

On Saturday, a further 31,795 coronavirus cases were reported, down by almost 5,000 on the day before. However, ministers fear it could be a temporary reprieve as restrictions were eased on July 19.

The proposal to expand the use of double vaccination status comes after the Prime Minister said earlier this week that people attending nightclubs from October will be required by law to have both jabs.

UK leads Europe in vaccinations

It is thought that using vaccine status, as opposed to the looser Covid status certification system, will help to mitigate the health risks on public transport.

With Premier League matches attracting crowds of tens of thousands of fans, both mid-week and at the weekend, ministers are increasingly resigned to the fact that requiring ticket holders to be double jabbed is the only way to reduce the risk of transmission on matchday.

Tackling ‘refuseniks’

A second strand in the Government’s vaccination push is aimed at the so-called “refuseniks”, particularly 18-30 year-olds who are yet to receive their first jab.

In a bid to cut through to younger people, the Department for Health is understood to be deploying a media campaign linking vaccination to the ability to travel overseas in the coming months.

The campaign will highlight the 33 countries that recognise the NHS Covid Pass, which can be used by anyone who is double vaccinated.

The third strand will begin in September, when the NHS launches a 13-week booster campaign which will deliver a third round of vaccines before Christmas. 

All over-50s and younger people with underlying conditions will be encouraged to get the top up jab, which officials say will deliver between “five and nine times” the amount of Covid-19 antibody protection.

It comes amid mounting concern that vaccine efficacy against the delta variant, which now accounts for 99 per cent of cases in the UK, may fall significantly over time.

Pandemic to endemic

While some ministers fear that rising hospital admissions in August could see restrictions reimposed from September, others are less pessimistic, with one senior minister insisting there was less than a “one in five” chance of this happening.

Nadhim Zahawi, the vaccines minister, told MPs this week he believed that the UK would become one the of the first nations in the world to transition from “pandemic to endemic status”, adding that the vaccination programme meant that Covid-19 was now a “manageable menace”. 

On Saturday night a senior Government source said: “The Prime Minister and Health Secretary want to make sure we are doing everything possible to protect people ahead of autumn and winter.

“There is a lot of work going on to prepare for the booster programme which will be a crucial line of defence.”

On proposals to expand mandatory vaccine status, insiders pointed out that by October all adults in England will have been offered a second jab, meaning only those who delayed or refused the invitation will be impacted.

It is expected that exemptions for people with a medical condition preventing them from being vaccinated will also be included if the policy goes ahead.