The remains of Judy Fox, 65, were found last year as her daughter Lucy faces trial for her murder (Image: © SWNS)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A woman is accused of stabbing her mother to death before cutting up her corpse and disposed of the body parts in bin liners, a court has heard.

Lucy Fox, 39, allegedly killed her mum Judy Fox, 65, in June last year.

Jurors were told how the retired nurse was attacked in the the kitchen of her home in Shifnal, Shropshire, before being dumped by the side of a river.

They heard how the daughter dismembered the body before she dumped the remains in the undergrowth in woodland close to the River Severn in Coalport.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard that the accused woman then used her mum's bank card in Asda to buy a ready meal, whisky, and bin liners.

She later used the bags to dispose of her mother's body parts, it was claimed.

Police officers discovered Mrs Fox's severed head in a plastic bag four weeks later on July 10. They then found other body parts scattered around the area in several bin liners.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard how the retired nurse's body was cut up and scattered in bin liners by a river
(Image: Stoke Sentinel/BPM Media)

Fox was charged with murder and arson with intent to endanger life at Stafford Crown Court.

Judge Kristina Montgomery QC told the court the trial would go ahead in her absence and jurors were asked to decide if they could be sure that Fox killed her mother.

Opening the case, prosecutor Kevin Hegarty QC said Fox had bought two knives from a Dunelm store before driving to her mother's home where she stabbed her.

She later set fire to a door mat in an attempt to kill her brother and confessed to both crimes when she was arrested, the jury was told.

Police were called to the property after a fire broke out but there was no sign of Mrs Fox who worked as a staff nurse for local newspapers the Express & Star and Shropshire Star.

But the court heard the kitchen was covered in blood, with splatters over the ceiling, walls, cupboard drawers and back door prompting a police search for the homeowner.

The court heard a lump hammer, saw and an axe were discovered nearby as well as two knives, one with a 3.9ins blade and another with a 5.9ins blade.

Mr Hegarty added: "Where was she? Only Lucy Fox knew. The prosecution will ask you to conclude that Lucy Fox killed her mother, no one saw Judy Fox again.

"The police continued searching and they searched an area along the River Severn and the first remains were found at around 10.30am on July 10.

"The search continued throughout that day and the days following. The discoveries that were made were all in the same area.

"Hidden in the undergrowth was a bag that contained Judith Fox's severed head.

"The area was subject to very careful search – shoulders, two legs and some fragments of skin and the right breast were found."

She went on: "I will ask you to bear in mind that Lucy Fox was armed with a knife, she killed her mother.

"She must have killed her mother by stabbing her. There was no other purpose for having the knife.

"When she went into the house, she was armed with at least one knife and was ready to stab her mother.

"As of today the torso and arms are still missing. The parts that were recovered showed varying levels of decay and had been lost to decomposition.

"Nevertheless, the recovered head is identified to be that of Judith Fox by examination of dental records.

"So we say the evidence shows that Lucy Fox killed her mother.

"She entered the house carrying at least one knife and killed her mother in the kitchen.

"The evidence will show also that before Lucy Fox arrived she had visited Coalport and was in vicinity of where her mother's body was found."

The trial continues.