Leslie Marrs was sentenced to 32 months in jail (Image: Merseyside Police)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A pervert pensioner has slashed his neck in the dock just seconds after being sentenced.

Leslie Marrs, 76, used a craft blade to cut the right side of his neck in court.

The incident happened after Judge Stuart Driver, QC, had warned the dock officer about the pensioner, who had previously told probation "he would commit suicide before he reached prison", the Liverpool Echo reports.

The judge added: "He needs to be handled with particular care today."

Just seconds later, Marrs took the blade from his suit and slashed his neck twice.

The dock officer then removed the weapon and called for assistant for the defendant.

Meanwhile, most people who were in the court were asked to leave.

Security staff arrived to administer first aid and paramedics and an ambulance rushed to Liverpool Crown Court to attend to him in the cells.

The incident happened at Liverpool Crown Court
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

Marrs, of Dunkeld Close, Kensington, Liverpool, had just been sentenced to 32 months imprisonment after admitting sexual assault and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Anya Horwood, prosecuting, had told the court that the incident came to light when the victim, who was in her mid-teens, confided in her youth worker that some months earlier she had been sexually assaulted by Marrs who had also previously made inappropriate remarks.

When interviewed Marrs claimed that they had been discussing pubic hair and “in that context touched her vaginal area.”

A photograph of his penis was found on his mobile phone and he admitted the girl, who was vulnerable, might have seen it but he had not shown it to her.

In an impact statement, the victim’s mum told how the girl had suffered nightmares and self-harmed after the assault and had displayed out-of-character challenging behaviour.

She said she realised now that Marrs had been grooming her daughter, saying: “I believe he knew exactly what he was doing.”

The court heard that he has previous convictions but none for sexual offences.

Paul Lewis, defending, said that Marrs has chronic lung issues and heart problems and some mental health problems relating to his Army service.

Sentencing Marrs earlier today, the judge said that the former soldier had caused “significant psychological harm” to his victim and described her mum’s statement as moving.

After Marr sliced his neck the court was closed for a while to allow for it to be thoroughly cleaned.

Marrs was taken to hospital for treatment and no injuries were sustained to officers during the incident.