England will be punished over the hooliganism that marred their European Championship final defeat at Wembley after Uefa opened disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association.

The FA was also charged over a pitch invasion by a topless spectator, as well as the throwing of objects, booing of Italy’s national anthem and lighting of a firework by supporters.

But it was the appointment of an “ethics and disciplinary inspector” over the storming of the stadium by hundreds – if not thousands – of apparently-ticketless hooligans that could lead to the biggest sanction from European football’s governing body.

Britain and Ireland’s 2030 World Cup bid was also put in jeopardy following the shocking scenes of violence at Wembley, where even players’ families were targeted.

The terrified relatives reported attempted thefts of their tickets at the pick-up points and in the chaotic queues as they tried to enter the stadium. Some ran to flee the trouble.

The disorder, some of the worst seen at an international fixture in Britain in years, left the FA facing a heavy fine and even a suspended stadium ban after scores of troublemakers forced entry to the game and ran riot inside and outside the ground.

Boris Johnson said that he did not think the actions of “a small minority” had hurt the FA-led World Cup bid, which had appeared to steal a march on a joint Spain-Portugal offering in April after the Prime Minister, helped bring down the threatened Super League breakaway. 

But those behind the Britain and Ireland bid last night admitted Sunday’s scenes, and the shambolic security operation, had harmed their efforts to bring football home again.

A senior figure at one of the FA’s bid partners told Telegraph Sport: “It can’t help things – it looked like chaos outside the stadium.”

One family member of an England player said of Sunday’s trouble: “About 50 people forced a metal door by the turnstiles open by bending it right back. Then loads of guys from everywhere just charged the opening to get in.

“The stewards couldn’t cope or stop them. I felt so sorry for them, they were getting kicked and punched. Hundreds got in and women and blokes who were queuing up were pushed over and trampled. We just ran, thinking we were going to get trampled.”

A relative of a different player said: “It was chaos. All these people with no tickets just stormed in. A lot of the families felt unsafe. There was nothing the stewards could do.”

An FA spokesman said: “We will carry out a full review and investigation into the events that took place at Wembley Stadium before and during the final. This will be done in collaboration with the police, the Greater London Authority, the Safety Advisory Group and the tournament delivery stakeholders.

“Security and stewarding numbers for the final exceeded the requirements for the match and were greater than any other previous event at Wembley Stadium. However, the behaviour of the people who illegally forced their way into the stadium was unacceptable, dangerous and showed total disregard for the safety and security protocols in place. No steward or security staff should be subjected to this type of behaviour and we thank them for their support on the night. We also apologise to anyone at the match whose experience was affected by this unprecedented level of public disorder.

"We will continue to work with the relevant authorities to identify and take action against these people where possible.”

Security was meant to have been stepped up after ticketless fans got into England’s semi-final win over Denmark.

Uefa fined the FA more than £25,000 over a laser pointer that was shone in the face of Kasper Schmeichel and other offences.

How the violence at Wembley unfolded