The trial into the death of Kaylee-Jayde Priest continues (Image: Darren Quinton/Birmingham Live)

A three-year-old girl had 'marks and bruises' on her body when she was found dead in a bedroom with no lightbulb or carpet, a murder trial was told.

Kaylee-Jayde Priest had already been 'dead for some time' when the ambulance arrived at her home in Kingshurst, West Midlands, on August 9 last year, Birmingham Crown Court heard.

Her mum Nicola Priest, 23, was found by a student paramedic "distressed" on the bed with her daughter on the floor, the eighth day of the trial heard.

The mum was calling out 'I don't think she's alive', Birmingham Live reports.

Priest and her 22-year-old partner Callum Redfern are accused of Kaylee-Jayde's murder, after denying the charge alongside manslaughter and allowing the death of a child.

Kaylee-Jayde Priest had already been 'dead for some time' when the ambulance arrived, the court heard
(Image: Darren Quinton/Birmingham Live)

Kaylee's bedroom was missing carpet, curtains, a duvet cover, a bed sheet and a light bulb when West Midlands Ambulance Service technician Miss Caitlin Harper arrived at 11.17am, the court heard.

"[Priest] was crying and distressed and calling out, 'I don't think she's alive,'" she recalled.

"The little girl was on the floor next to the bed, lying on her back.

Kaylee had been wearing a pink pyjama top and blue pyjama shorts when she was found, Miss Harper told the jury.

Tributes to three-year-old Kaylee-Jayde Priest
(Image: Darren Quinton/Birmingham Live)

"It was apparent she had been dead for some time," she added.

"Her body was stiff and lips were purple in colour. There was blood pooling on her torso. "

Priest told Miss Harper, a student paramedic at the time, Kaylee was put to bed at 7.30pm and was sick three times the night before.

"She told me the last time she checked on her was 10.30pm", the technician explained.

Miss Harper told the court the mum said she found her daughter dead when she woke up at 10.30am, before moving her to the floor.

Bruises were found on her body, a court heard
(Image: Darren Quinton/Birmingham Live)

Priest told her she had carried out CPR on her daughter, but when paramedics arrived she was sitting on the bed 'very upset'.

The technician continued: "She told me two weeks prior Kaylee had fallen off her play table. She said she hit her head but no other injuries were sustained.

"She said she vomited after she hit her head, but no other injuries and she was happy and fine after.

"She told me she had some reduced appetite recently and wasn't eating as normally, generally."

Miss Harper continues to explain that when medics cut open Kaylee's pyjama top, marks, bruises and a red abrasion was uncovered.

A tribute to Kaylee-Jayde Priest
(Image: Darren Quinton/Birmingham Live)

"I saw marks to her chest and torso area. There were bruises in small clusters to the side," she told the court.

"There was a red abrasion in the middle of the chest."

Police arrived and the student paramedic was told it would be a 'crime scene'.

"My colleague did take some photos of the body as well, just before we went out, just for our paperwork," Miss Harper added.

The jury were told there was no duvet cover on the duvet, no sheet on the mattress, no curtains or blinds in the window and no carpet on the floor in Kaylee's bedroom.

The technician said: "The mattress appeared to be quite dirty.

"We asked if we could switch the light on, but Priest said the light bulb had gone off and she didn't have any spare light bulbs. There wasn't a bulb in the room."

The trial continues.