A convicted killer, who used a narwhal tusk to help tackle the London Bridge terrorist, has been approved for early release from prison, the Parole Board has confirmed.

Steven Gallant was one of the heroes who challenged Usman Khan after he went on a knife rampage stabbing two people to death at Fishmongers’ Hall in 2019.

The 43-year-old, who was at the same rehabilitation event as Khan, was jailed for life with a minimum tariff of 17-years in 2005 after he was convicted of the murder of Barrie Jackson in Hull.

He had not been eligible for a parole hearing until next year, but following his actions at London Bridge he had ten months knocked off his original minimum tariff.

At a Parole Board hearing last month, Gallant was approved for release after it was decided he no longer posed a significant risk to the public.

A spokesperson for the Parole Board said: “We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board has directed the release of Steven Gallant following an oral hearing. 

"Parole Board decisions are solely focused on what risk a prisoner could represent to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community. "

The panel heard evidence from a number of witnesses including probation officers, psychiatrists, prison staff and the family of his victim.

The parole board heard that Gallant had made considerable progress during his time in prison including taking part in the Learning Together rehabilitation event, where Khan launched his attack.

In a summary judgment the board stated: "Since arriving in an open prison, Mr Gallant had continued to demonstrate a good standard of behaviour and he had progressed to periods of release on temporary release in the community. 

"This had included attendance at the Learning Together Event in London where Mr Gallant’s actions in supporting the police during the terror attack were later commended by the Secretary of State. 

"The panel also recognised Mr Gallant’s conduct during this incident but was clear that it was not a reason to direct his release."

The decision of the board is provisional for 21 days during which time the family of the victim can  appeal to the Secretary of State to ask for the decision to be reviewed.