Chelsea Cuthbertson told a court she didn’t deliberately hurt the boy on the day he was taken to hospital (Image: Solent News)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A mother accused of murdering her six-week-old baby boy has denied deliberately harming or shaking him.

Chelsea Cuthbertson, 28, denies the murder of Malakai Watts, who was rushed to hospital from the family's two-bedroom flat in Hythe, Southampton Hampshire, on February 2 2019.

The baby, born on Christmas Day 2018, was put in a medically-induced coma at a paediatric intensive care unit at Southampton General Hospital but a decision was taken to turn off his life support four days later and he died on February 6.

Sally Howes QC, prosecuting, has told Winchester Crown Court that a post-mortem examination showed that Malakai died of a traumatic head injury likely to have been caused by shaking, possibly with an impact.

The block of flats in Hythe, near Southampton, from where baby Malakai had to be rushed to hospital
(Image: Daily Echo/Solent News)

He also suffered eight rib fractures with one having been suffered on an earlier occasion than the other seven, the court has heard.

Giving evidence, Cuthbertson was asked if she had ever shaken Malakai, deliberately hurt him or shaken him on the day that he was taken to hospital, to which she replied: "No."

The defendant admitted that she had been a regular cannabis smoker since August 2014 having started using it at parties as a teenager.

She said: "It just chills me."

She also admitted to using cocaine by "snorting it" having first "dabbled" with it as a teenager.

The jury has heard that Cuthbertson's partner, Del Watts, who worked as a car valet in Eastleigh, told police that on the day before Malakai was taken ill, he had taken cannabis and cocaine and drank beer and Cuthbertson had drunk some wine.

He also said that after they had woken up to feed Malakai at 4am, he had gone back to sleep in the lounge because he could tell Cuthbertson "was going to get angry and argumentative".

He had then left for work arriving by 8.30am, about an hour before Cuthbertson called 999 reporting that Malakai had stopped breathing.

Ms Howes told the court that Cuthbertson had said that "she had got up and gone outside for a cigarette, she was only outside for five minutes, when she came back in Malakai was not breathing."

A paramedic arrived at 9.44am to find Cuthbertson giving chest compressions to Malakai, which he took over before colleagues arrived and the baby was taken to hospital by ambulance, the prosecutor said.

The trial continues.