Robinson, who made his Test debut in June, said 'I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets'
Credit: Adam Davy/PA Wire.
Ollie Robinson, the 27-year-old Sussex seamer who made a brilliant Test debut against New Zealand at Lord’s has been cleared to resume playing immediately.
The Cricket Discipline Commission looking into the "historic tweets" which Robinson posted when he was 19 suspended him for eight matches in all, three of which he has already missed while the penalty of missing the other five games will be suspended for two years. He was also fined £3,200.
“I fully accept the CDC’s decision,” said Robinson. “As I have said previously, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologise unreservedly for their contents.
“I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offence. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself.
“Whilst I want to move on, I do want to use my experience to help others in the future through working with the PCA.” Robinson has volunteered to work with the Professional Cricketers Association in their education programmes.
Whatever personal opinions might be about the CDC verdict, it was reached by a panel of three people, two of them well-versed in cricket. One member was Claire Taylor, the former England batsman and the first woman to be a Wisden Cricketer of the Year; and a second Anurag Singh, a Cambridge blue and former Warwickshire batsman, under the chairmanship of Mark Milliken-Smith QC.
The ECB statement reads:
“Robinson had previously admitted breaching ECB Directives 3.3 and 3.4 in relation to a number of offensive tweets which were posted between 2012 and 2014, when he was aged between 18 and 20. The tweets came to light on 2 June 2021, which was also the first day of his first Test match for England.
“Following a hearing on 30 June, the Panel decided that Robinson should be suspended from playing cricket for eight matches, five of which will be suspended for two years.
“In coming to its decision, the Panel took into account a number of factors including the nature and content of the tweets, the breadth of their discrimination, their widespread dissemination in the media and the magnitude of the audience to whom they became available.
- Banning Ollie Robinson was the right thing, now he must prove he is a changed man
“The Panel also considered there was significant mitigation, including the time that had elapsed since the tweets were posted, and a number of personal references which demonstrated that Robinson, who chose to address the Panel, is a very different person to the one who sent the tweets. It also took account of his remorse, admissions and cooperation as well as the huge impact which the revelation of these tweets and its consequences have had upon him and his family.
“Robinson was also fined £3,200.”
Tom Harrison, ECB Chief Executive Officer, said: “We accept the decisions made by the Cricket Discipline Commission and the sanctions they have imposed.
“Ollie has acknowledged that, whilst published a long time ago when he was a young man, these historic tweets were unacceptable. He has engaged fully in the disciplinary process, admitted the charges, has received his sanction from the CDC and will participate in training and use his experiences to help others.
“Given he has served the suspension handed down by the CDC, he will now be available for selection for England again.”
Given his all-round performance against New Zealand on his debut, something will be amiss with England’s selection process if Robinson does not play the first Test against India at Trent Bridge on August 4.