Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Andy Murray produced a battling performance to defeat Oscar Otte in five sets and reach the third round of Wimbledon.

Murray won the opening set 6-3 but Germany's Otte claimed the next two by a single break to leave the Brit staring down the barrel of a disappointing exit.

But, just as he did in his first-round victory over Nikoloz Basilashvili, the 34-year-old showed steel and experience to overcome the world number 151 on Centre Court.

Murray's victory means he has progressed the third round of a Grand Slam for the first time since he reached the quarter-finals of Wimbledon four years ago.

(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Next up, the two-time champion faces Denis Shapovalov, who advanced after his second-round opponent, Pablo Andujar, withdrew with a rib injury.

In contrast, Murray has already racked up nine sets from his first two matches and faces a stern test against the Canadian 10th-seed.

As ever, the former world number one – now ranked 118 – made little effort to hide his emotions at the All England Club.

He celebrated emphatically after winning crucial points – much to the crowd's delight – and made his frustration clear when his shots were found wanting.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Serena Williams retires in tears as Wimbledon record dreams end in heartbreak

Read More
Related Articles

  • Tennis is more of a 'euphoric' sport to watch than football, study claims

A vital moment in the match came early in the fifth set, when Murray broke Otte's first service game en route to a 3-0 lead in the decider.

He was taken to deuce on numerous occasions on his own serve, but Murray held his nerve and his biggest roar of the night – prior to the match-winning stroke – came when he went 5-2 up and within one game of victory.

From there, Murray – with the crowd as behind him as ever – produced vintage ground strokes to earn two match points against the Otte serve.

Another fantastic shot sealed the victory and raised the Centre Court crowd to its feet for the umpteenth time of the evening.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Wimbledon returns after two years but with new rules and no queues

Read More
Related Articles

  • Andy Murray ranks getting his kids to bed on time ahead of Wimbledon success

Speaking after his triumph, Murray said: "I enjoyed the end – the middle part, not so much. The whole crowd was amazing.

"I needed everyone's help tonight, they did a great job. I played some great shots today, to finish it, but it was a touch match."

He added: "I think I played the right way in the last couple of sets and in the first set and a half. I'm obviously tired and I fell over a couple of times, but considering everything I did all right.

"I get a rest day tomorrow and hopefully on Friday I play in front of another atmosphere like this."

Read More
Related Articles

  • Josh Ward-Hibbert: Wimbledon record-breaker who is now Great Britain basketball star

Read More
Related Articles

  • Wimbledon chief hits back at Gary Neville after withering criticism of final decision

While Murray certainly benefited from the home crowd, another advantage may have been the bizarrely-oversized shorts Otte wore for their encounter.

At one point, the German complained to the umpire they were too big and even pulled at his waistband to show her how large they were as they flailed in the wind.

During the first set, Otte asked umpire Aurelie Tourte to order him a new pair as he had no spares.

But, amusingly, when two pairs of shorts from the official Wimbledon shop arrived on court for Otte, he turned them down and stuck with the giant ones.