A man accused of murdering Metropolitan Police officer, Sergeant Matt Ratana, has appeared in court from his hospital bed.

Louis de Zoysa, 23, is accused of shooting the 54-year-old custody officer dead during a search at Croydon Custody Centre in the early hours of September 25 last year.

Mr De Zoysa has been in hospital under police guard since the incident where he was being treated for a gunshot wound.

On Tuesday Scotland Yard announced that he had recovered sufficiently to be charged with the murder of Sgt Ratana as well as firearms offences.

Louis de Zoysa has been charged with murder and firearms offences

He appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court by video-link on Wednesday from his hospital bed to answer the charges.

Sitting in a raised hospital bed wearing a grey T-shirt, he did not speak during the seven minute hearing.

Asked to confirm his identity, Mr De Zoysa held up a white board to the camera, on which his name and date of birth was written.

Sgt Matt Ratana was a hugely popular police and respected officer

His lawyer, Haroon Shah, then gave his address in Norbury, south west London.

Mr De Zoysa was not asked to enter pleas to charges of murder, possession of a prohibited firearm and possession of ammunition without a certificate.

Chief Magistrate Paul Goldspring said the charges can only be dealt with at the Crown Court and remanded him in custody ahead of a hearing at the Old Bailey on Friday.

The court heard how New Zealand-born Sgt Ratana was allegedly shot and killed by Mr De Zoysa after he was arrested following a stop and search.

Officers allegedly found seven bullets in Mr De Zoysa’s possession and he was arrested and taken to Croydon custody centre.

During a further search, the suspect is alleged to have produced a gun and shot Sgt Ratana in the chest, firing four times in total before also shooting himself.

Sgt Matt Ratana was shot dead at Croydon custody suite in September

Sgt Ratana was taken to St George’s Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, while Mr De Zoysa survived after he was treated by officers and London Ambulance staff.

Scotland Yard said he was charged on Tuesday after recent changes to his medical condition.

The force said investigators had been in "close liaison" with the Crown Prosecution Service since the shooting and Sgt Ratana’s partner, Su Bushby, and his son have been updated with the latest developments in the case.