A guest at the party said Zoe was intoxicated (Image: Zoe Whelan/ Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A mum-of-two was found dead on the floor of a friend's home after a boozy house party, an inquest has heard.

Zoe Whelan, 30, was tragically discovered in December 4 last year after she had consumed vodka shots and took cocaine, the hearing was told.

The mum had visited her close friend Lynsey McDonald, before moving to pal Gemma Smith's house with other friends, the inquest heard.

One guest at the party in Stockport, Greater Manchester, said Zoe was ''10/10'' drunk and claimed she was most the intoxicated person he had ever seen in his life.

Toxicology tests showed Zoe had 336 micrograms of alcohol in her bloodstream – with the alcohol limit in blood for driving standing at 80mg.

Zoe Whelan was found dead at a friend's house
(Image: Zoe Whelan/ Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd)

She had also had traces of cocaine, the anti-anxiety drug Pregabalin and cannabis in her system.

Speaking at the inquest, Zoe's father Lewis Wells described his daughter as "a bubbly girl" who was "very active" and "caring".

He said she loved her horses and often took her two children to the stables.

Mr Walles said: "I miss her so much, it has broken my heart. I will never forget her.

“I have to bring up her two children now because of them. She loved her two children very dearly, now they have no mother because of what they did to her, those druggies.

“I saw her every day of her life. I did everything for her. She was making plans for Christmas and had already bought some of the children’s presents. Bringing up two children on her own was very demanding for her, but she coped.''

Miss McDonald told the hearing that they had been celebrating her sister's birthday at home that day and Zoe went there at around 6.30pm.

Zoe was described 'bubbly' and 'caring'
(Image: Zoe Whelan/ Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd)

However, the party was interrupted by police at around 10.30pm and Zoe told her she was going home – but she did not do so.

At around 1.30am, Miss McDonald said she received a drunk video call from Miss Smith and saw that Zoe was with her and two other men.

Miss McDonald said: "She did not take any drugs at mine, I did not see her take any."

Miss Smith said she left Lyndsey's house with Zoe and the two males at around 10.30pm.

She told the inquest: "We just had a drink and had a laugh. I was drinking vodka and shots and there were a lot of drinks on the table, including a mixture of spirits. We had cocaine on the side, we only had a few lines and Zoe asked for it.

''People were allowed to help themselves and Zoe helped herself.

''Zoe was really intoxicated, at one point she was falling over and couldn’t stand up, so we took her upstairs for a lie-down. She was falling over at around 2am. I had a lot to drink as well, but I was not as drunk as her."

Miss Smith said she took Zoe upstairs with another person – but she cannot remember who – and put her in bed.

Her death was recorded as drink and drug-related
(Image: Zoe Whelan/ Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd)

She then went back downstairs and had a few more drinks while chatting.

She said one of the males then shouted from upstairs to come up – which is when she understood what happened.

Miss Smith said they called the ambulance and were advised to start chest compressions.

Another guest, Ashley Rigby, said Zoe was the drunkest person she had ever seen in her life and that her speech was slurred.

The former lifeguard told the inquest: “I took Zoe upstairs and put her in the room. She came down herself straight away as she wanted to carry on drinking, but then Gemma took her upstairs again. The first time I helped her, I also helped her back up the second time but I did not help put her into bed the second time.

“Later I went back upstairs to the toilet and I saw her lying on the floor, there was no response. I started CPR trying to help her. I was a lifeguard so was trained in giving CPR. There was no more that I could have done.”

One of the party guests tried to give Zoe CPR, but could not save her
(Image: Zoe Whelan/ Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd)

A third guest, Matthew Smith, said he went to bed at around 2.30pm and woke up to hear Gemma and Ashley talking, which is when they called an ambulance.

Det Insp Rebecca Mills of Greater Manchester Police told the inquest: “Heavy drinking had been going on and three small snap bags of empty cocaine powder were found which had been disbarred and consumed. Zopiclone tablets were found in Zoe’s pocket but had not been consumed.

“In Gemma’s bag there was unused snapbags. Class A drugs and alcohol had been consumed on the premises. Gemma was arrested because I was concerned she had supplied Class A drugs which could have caused her death. The two males were not arrested. I am satisfied there was no suspicious circumstances – I pass on my condolences to Zoe's parents.''

Recording a conclusion of drink and drug-related death, assistant coroner Lauren Costello said: ''Gemma Smith and Zoe went to Miss McDonald’s property on 4 Dec, 2020, for a short time and some alcohol was consumed. They left around 10.30pm with Mr Rigby and Mr Smith and continued drinking. I am satisfied Gemma and Zoe were drinking heavily with spirits in high volume.

“Zoe was very intoxicated, she was slurring her words and unable to stand up. A decision was made for her to stop drinking and she was helped up to bed. I am satisfied all parties had consumed alcohol which has significantly impacted there recollection of what happened.

“Three empty snapbags of cocaine were found at the premises and it was clear Zoe had taken cocaine. She was also 4x the legal limit for driving from alcohol. I am satisfied the alcohol combined with the cocaine and pregabalin caused her to suffer cardiorespiratory depression. I am also satisfied she took the drugs on her own accord.

“I am so sorry and I sent my condolences to the family and friends to Zoe who was a wonderful mother and friend.”