Police constable Benjamin Monk arrives at Birmingham Crown Court before being found guilty of manslaughter (Image: Anita Maric/SWNS)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A police officer who Tasered ex-footballer Dalian Atkinson and then kicked him twice in the head has been cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter.

Jurors took 18 hours and 48 minutes to reach unanimous verdicts on PC Benjamin Monk.

The officer claimed he feared for his life during an incident involving Atkinson, a former Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town star, in Telford, Shropshire on August 15, 2016.

Jurors are still deliberating on an assault charge relating to Monk’s colleague at West Mercia Police and former girlfriend, PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith.

Bettley-Smith, 31, had denied committing assault during the same incident.

The court heard that the officer – a colleague and ex-girlfriend of Monk – had struck Atkinson, 48, with a baton as he was Tasered to the ground.

Dalian Atkinson
(Image: PA)

Monk and Bettley-Smith both said during the trial they believed Atkinson was trying to get back to his feet and still posed a threat to them and others.

Counsel for Monk had claimed the ex-footballer was not motionless on the ground when he was kicked twice in the head "as a last resort" after the officer ran out of options.

And the defendant said Mr Atkinson told him: “I’m the f****** Messiah – your Taser won’t work. I’m going to take you to the gates of hell.”

Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith arrives at Birmingham Crown Court on Wednesday morning
(Image: Anita Maric/SWNS)

Defence QC Patrick Gibbs also submitted that the length of a 33-second Taser deployment by Monk was the clearest evidence that it was delivered by mistake "in complete confusion and panic".

The standard length of a Taser deployment is five seconds, the court was told.

Prosecutors had claimed Monk used unlawful and unreasonable force out of anger, prior to the death of Mr Atkinson, who suffered a cardiorespiratory arrest.

Police at the scene following Mr Atkinson's death in Telford in 2016
(Image: PA)

It was alleged that he had repeatedly stamped on Mr Atkinson's head and left imprints.

Judge Melbourne Inman QC had told the 11-strong jury that the Crown had to prove three elements for Monk to be guilty of murder – that the officer had used unlawful force, which caused death, and that he intended to kill Mr Atkinson or cause him really serious harm.

We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

Please check back regularly for updates on this developing story here at Mirror.co.uk.

For the latest news and breaking news visit Mirror.co.uk/news.

Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

Follow us on Twitter@DailyMirror – the official Daily Mirror & Mirror Online Twitter account – real news in real time.

We're also on Facebook /dailymirror – your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Mirror Online.