Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now
Get all the jungle gossip with our regular email newsletter
Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Yes please!When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice
Kerry Katona has waded in to the furlough row surrounding Giovanna and Tom Fletcher and insists the pair did nothing wrong.
The couple were said to have received as much as £30,000 from the government scheme, but have since repaid in full.
Tom and Giovanna have admitted they made “a mistake we wholeheartedly take responsibility for”.
Giovanna, 36, and her McFly singer husband, 35, issued a joint statement last week, explaining how the error had come about.
But straight-talking Kerry has leapt to their defence after the I'm A Celebrity winner and her life-long partner came under fire.
Writing in her column for New! Magazine, the singer says she has no idea what such a fuss was made.
Giovanna and Tom Fletcher hit the headlines earlier this month
She said she would have taken every penny offered too if she was eligible.
The former Atomic Kitten even said the couple should have stuck to their guns and not given the cash back.
I'm A Celeb bosses ditch Versace hotel in Australia for resort used in The Inbetweeners
Tom and Giovanna Fletcher issue apology after ‘error of judgment’ over furlough use
Kerry wrote: "Giovanna Fletcher received backlash after it was revealed she used the furlough scheme last year despite being worth millions.
"I think fair play to her! I don't know what everyone is complaining about.
"If the government are offering that money to help, then take it with both hands I say!
Kerry says they did nothing wrong – except give the cash back
"We pay all this bleeding tax, so if the government offers you money, why is it then seen as a bad thing if you take it? I would."
The couple denied the figure of £30,000 was correct, but expressed regret at the situation.
The statement read: “Hi everyone, we’ve always had a very honest and open relationship with you all on here so we thought it was important to address questions that some of you have rightly asked us in the last 24 hours.
“This weekend there was an article in one of the Sunday papers about us using the government furlough scheme.
Giovanna admitted they made “a mistake"
(Image: Kieron McCarron/ITV/REX/Shutterstock)
"While parts of the article were inaccurate (including all of the figures mentioned), it is true that we did follow financial advice to furlough someone we employ.”
The couple said the furlough cash was used for a staff member who “couldn’t carry out their role due to the pandemic” and the scheme was suggested as “the most effective way to give them job stability and security”.
The statement added: “Although it was a time of great uncertainty, we clearly should have thought more about the situation and funded it ourselves.
“It was a huge error of judgment and a mistake we wholeheartedly take responsibility for and we have paid the full amount back."