Heidi Gibbs with child Ezra at the grave of stillborn son Enzo (Image: Triangle News)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A mum decided to get herself sterilised after her fifth baby was stillborn in a heartbreaking hospital blunder.

Heidi Gibbs was wrongly told by an unqualified ward clerk that she had a water infection.

But in fact, her tot Enzo was being starved of oxygen due to a deadly condition.

Heidi of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, has just been awarded a £40,000 payout for the death of her baby, which left her so traumatised she got herself sterilised.

The 37-year-old stay-at-home mum had been suffering a placental abruption in March 2018 where the placenta becomes detached from the womb starving the unborn child of oxygen and nutrients.

But an unqualified hospital worker told her the pain was probably a Urinary Tract infection (UTI) and said she should go to her GP instead

Mikey (top right), Alfie (top left) Jessica (middle) and baby Ezra in pram at the grave of baby Enzo
(Image: Triangle News)

Two hours later, Enzo had died.

Heidi said: "The official report into the incident said that had I been seen, there was a chance that the outcome might have been different – and that's the most heartbreaking thing."

The first half of the pregnancy had gone smoothly, but at 19 weeks she was told that she had a hematoma, meaning the placenta had partially detached from her womb.

Doctors told her it was "concerning" and that they would need to keep an eye on her.

But things remained steady, she and her and partner, scaffolder Luke, 36, and their four children, Mikey, now 19, Alfie, 18, Jessica, 11, and Ezra, 4, began feeling excited about their new baby.

Baby Emi-rae was born in November 2019
(Image: Triangle News)

Then at nearly 31 weeks Heidi suddenly felt an excruciating pain across her belly and back – but had no bleeding.

She said: "I felt like my whole belly was contracting but it was all wrong. This was my fifth child and I knew something was up."

Heidi pleaded to be seen by medics but a staff member at James Paget University Hospital was insistent it was a simple water infection.

She said: "I was practically crawling to the reception desk because I was in so much pain."

She was helped onto a bed and was in so much pain she couldn't move and a doctor took an ultrasound.

"By this point, my little boy had gone," heartbroken Heidi said.

Heidi with her son Mikey
(Image: Triangle News)

"I was completely numb. When I made the first call to the hospital I could feel him moving, I knew something bad was happening but I didn't realise he was dying."

She was told she had internal bleeding, and had to go through the agonising process of delivering little Enzo, stillborn, that evening

"My husband was devastated," she said. "He came to see Enzo and then went home, he didn't want to see him after that – and that is how he processed his grief.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Dad suffered heart attack after drinking 12 cans of energy drink every day

Read More
Related Articles

  • Dad suffered heart attack after drinking 12 cans of energy drink every day

"But I felt like until we had Enzo's funeral, I needed to be there with him."

Heidi pursued legal action and won £40,000 after a lengthy legal battle that ended in August last year, but he said: "I don't think there's any justice whatsoever.

"In the end it felt like we got all that money instead of Enzo – it's not justice. "

Pictures of Enzo with his dad Luke and mum Heidi
(Image: Triangle News)

After the stillbirth Heidi was determined to get her tubes tied, terrified of getting pregnant again after such a harrowing and traumatic experience.

But two days before the procedure was scheduled to take place, she found out she was pregnant again this time with a little girl, Emi-Rae, who was born in November 2019.

She said: "I had her by caesarean and I was sterilised on the same day that I had her. "

Heidi with her son Alfie
(Image: Triangle News)

Emi-Rae is now two-years-old and very happy and healthy, as are the rest of Heidi's family.

A spokesman for James Paget University Hospital trust said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with the lady and family involved.

"Following the incident an investigation was carried out into what happened. It found there was a short delay as the lady was directed to her GP, although this may not have changed the sad outcome.

"As a result of the investigation several recommendations were made, including checks to make sure only midwives were performing telephone triage, to provide more information for women who are at risk of abruption or other complications during pregnancy, and to share learning from the incident with all maternity staff. These have all been implemented."