Lee Kamen has issued a warning over excessive drinking of energy drinks (Image: MEN MEDIA)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A dad who had a heart attack after drinking 12 cans of energy drinks every day for a year has warned about excessive consumption of the products.

Lee Kamen collapsed from a heart attack after guzzling between eight and 12 cans a day, Hull Live reports.

After a shop sold his 10-year-old daughter an energy drink can, he is keen to educate adults and kids about the risks of excessive drinking them.

Lee said he poured the energy drink which his daughter bought straight down the drain.

He has spent his life in the bar and hospitality industry and owns The Vault Bar in Hull.

But he said the drinks should be banned and appealed to shop owners to be responsible about selling them to under-16s.

Lee wants to inform others about the dangers of energy drinks
(Image: HullLive/ WS)

Many supermarkets regulate themselves and refuse to sell them to children, but there is currently no law against it.

Lee, 53, from Hull, East Yorkshire, had a heart attack in 2017, despite not drinking or smoking, and doctors quizzed him about drinking energy drinks.

He told the Hull Live : "I was on 8 to 12 a day at the time, I was drinking Red Bull and Monster, I used to go to Makro for the pub and would buy cases of 24 cans and just drink them like any other drink.

"I was working a lot and drank them to keep me going. This probably went on for about a year.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Brits' favourite holiday hotspots which will soon be ruined by climate change

Read More
Related Articles

  • Pontins holiday hell as woman says 'prison would be nicer' after finding blood

"One day I collapsed with a heart attack and had to have a stent fitted, I am now on medication for life due to those dangerous drinks.

"When I was in hospital after the heart attack, the doctor told me the energy drink consumption was the cause. I didn't have a clue there was anything wrong with drinking them until then.

"It was a hell of a shock at the time, but now I am passionate about this issue."

Lee said his 10-year-old jumped in his car after school with a can in her hand"

He said: "I took it straight off her and poured it straight down the drain."

The publican informed her school, who emailed parents within minutes of the phone call.

The school reminded them their children should not be consuming the high-sugar, high caffeine drinks which can interfere with their behaviour and physical health.

Lee Kamen poured an energy drink down the drain after he found his daughter with one
(Image: MEN MEDIA)

Children and adolescents aged 12 to 18-years-old should not drink more than 100mg of caffeine a day, which is equivalent to a cup of coffee.

Energy drinks contain from about 50 mg to a whopping 500 mg of caffeine per serving.

Increased caffeine levels consumed by children can cause a wide range of health consequences which are serious enough to need medical help.

Lee added: "Shops should not be selling them to kids. Large supermarkets won't, and the smaller shops need to do the same. "

Former prime minister Theresa May attempted to make the banning of energy drinks for sale to under-16s a new law before she left Number 10 but the law appears to not have been passed by Boris Johnson

The Government consulted on energy drinks in 2019 and 93 per cent of respondents said businesses should be banned from selling them to under-16s.