Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A heartbreaking diary entry written by a British woman murdered in Greece reveals she had wanted to leave her husband for more than a year.

Mum-of-one Caroline Crouch, 20, was found dead at her family home in suburban Athens on May 11, and her husband, Charalambos (Babis) Anagnostopoulos, claimed she was killed by burglars.

But police say he made up the story after smothering her in front of their 11-month-old baby, and confessed during an eight-hour interrogation on Thursday.

The helicopter pilot also allegedly strangled the family's pet dog, a husky, and hung its body on a banister in a bid to strengthen the cover-up, police claim.

Friends claim Anagnostopoulos, 33, was jealous and controlling, and Ms Crouch, a university student, had had enough and was preparing to end their marriage and seek a divorce.

Have you been affected by this story? Email [email protected]

Caroline Crouch holds her daughter, who was born in June last year
(Image: Caroline Crouch/Instagram)

Greek media reports claim she had told a friend she was planning to leave her husband on the night of her death.

Police told Greek media that the couple had been arguing in the hours leading up to the killing.

Anagnostopoulos allegedly told police that he smothered his wife with a pillow after she told him to leave the house.

He continued to raise the couple's daughter after Ms Crouch's death.

Her diary entries dating back to 2019 – the year the couple got married in Portugal – contain claims of problems in the relationship, arguments and physical abuse, the Amna news agency reported.

Charalambos (Babis) Anagnostopoulos was taken to a prosecutor's office on Friday

The diary is part of a 26-page police file, the report added.

An entry dated in December 2019 stated: "I fought with Babi again. This time it was serious.

"I hit him, I cursed at him and he broke down the door.

"All I wanted was for him to ask how I am when I woke up. I woke up so weak and tired.

"I am thinking of leaving. I am thinking of going to my sister, I don't know if I can keep going with Babi.

"I love him so much that I can't leave him even though this relationship hurts me."

Another entry that year stated: "Last night we fought with Babi because I had a meltdown because of my hormones.

"I yelled at him and hit him and told him I don't want our baby…

"I am not well, I am very upset, I know he would never hurt my baby.

Ms Crouch, 20, had told friends she was planning to leave her husband
(Image: Babis Anagnostopoulos/Instagram)

"My love for her is stronger than anything in the world."

A month after giving birth, Ms Crouch told her husband that she wanted to "leave".

An entry from July 2020 read: "Today my little one is a month old – it's also the day I told Babi I want to leave… I feel awful."

She wrote that she had been thinking of leaving Anagnostopoulos before she became pregnant, and had found a house in suburban Athens, but she decided to stay because she "didn't want my daughter to grow up without her parents".

Anagnostopoulos hugs Ms Crouch's mother at a memorial service on Wednesday
(Image: Alpha/Youtube)

Anagnostopoulos has been charged with the intentional homicide of his wife, who was born in the UK and moved to Greece when she was eight.

The husband wore a bullet-proof vest and was escorted by heavily-armed police officers as he was taken to a prosecutor's office on Friday in a case that has stunned Greece.

His arrest came after he attended a memorial to his wife on the island of Alonnisos, where she grew up, on Wednesday.

Ms Crouch moved to Greece with her family when she was eight-years-old

He was seen hugging Ms Crouch's grief-stricken mother before travelling to Athens with police, who say they told him they wanted to discuss a breakthrough in the case and needed help to identify a suspect.

However, when he arrived at the police headquarters he was told that he was the suspect, said police.

Anagnostopoulos had initially claimed in May that a foreign gang broke into the house and tied up him and his wife as they demanded cash and jewellery.

He claimed one of the three intruders strangled his wife, and he temporarily lost consciousness after duct tape was put over his mouth.

Anagnostopoulos spoke to reporters outside the family home after his wife's death

Anagnostopoulos had speculated that his life was spared because he was unconscious and appeared dead, and he claimed he managed to wriggle free and call for help on his mobile phone after the home invaders fled.

The first officer on scene previously told how he found Ms Crouch's daughter trying to wake her up, as the mum was tied to a bed.

Police told Greek media they suspected the husband from the beginning and played along with the story about the intruders as they continued to gather evidence.

In the days following Ms Crouch's death, Anagnostopoulos made a number of statements to TV crews in front of the family home.

He said the day after his wife was found dead: “I wish no-one ever goes through what we went through last night. It was a nightmare.

Ms Crouch and husband Anagnostopoulos got married in Portugal in 2019
(Image: Instagram)

“We begged the thieves not to harm us. We told them where the money was and asked them to leave us alone. The police will catch them.”

Two days after his wife was found dead, Anagnostopoulos told the Mirror he was in "no condition" to speak at length about her.

He added: "She was an amazing person, full of life and full of love. Our lives will never be the same without her.

"Take care of your family, sir. Cherish your loved ones as much as you can."

According to Greek media, Anagnostopoulos allegedly told police during an interrogation on Thursday: "I killed her. I will tell you everything."

He added: "That night we were fighting early. At one point she threw the child in the crib and told me to leave the house.

Caroline Crouch holds her baby daughter, then seven months, in the air at a beach
(Image: Caroline Crouch/Instagram)

"She pushed me and punched me. I lost my temper, I suffocated her with the pillow. Τhen I made up the robbery."

Police spent hours going through text messages and data from mobile phones and other devices.

Detectives said the robbery story fell apart thanks to Ms Crouch's fitness tracker, data from Anagnostopoulos' mobile phone, and CCTV from the home in the upscale neighbourhood, Greek media reported.

A fitness tracker on Ms Crouch's wrist showed intense heart activity just after 4am and her heart stopping at about 4.11am, about an hour before burglars were alleged to have stormed into the home, it was reported.

It is alleged that data from his phone showed him moving from the attic to the basement of the home, and back again, despite him claiming he had been tied up in a room.

The memory card from a security camera inside the living room had been removed at 1.20am. Police claim it was removed by the husband and flushed down the toilet.

Ms Crouch, 20, was a statistics student at a university in Greece
(Image: Babis Anagnostopoulos/Instagram)

Footage taken at 12.35am allegedly shows the Anagnostopoulos cradling his daughter on a sofa as he and Ms Crouch, who was upstairs, argued over text, Protothema reported.

They continued to text each other for about two hours and 40 minutes.

Ms Crouch is thought to have been killed a short time later at about 4am, based on the data from her fitness tracker, said police.

Police were called to the home about two hours after that.

Detectives are said to suspect the murder was pre-meditated because a memory card was removed from a security camera before the killing.

A friend of Ms Crouch claimed to Greek news site Ethnos that Anagnostopoulos was jealous and controlling, and Ms Crouch was not happy in the relationship.

It is alleged that Ms Crouch had had enough and was preparing to end her marriage before she was killed.

The friend said: "This was not a happy couple, but a troubled relationship. He was jealous of her and would let her do almost nothing.

"She could not have the time she wanted with her friends and she was constantly expressing her complaints about his behaviour."