A father and son died after being gored by a water buffalo at their family farm in Wales, an inquest has heard.

Ralph Jump, 57, and his son Peter, 19, suffered fatal injuries when they were attacked alongside daughter Isabel, 22, who survived the incident at the nine-acre smallholding in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire.

Gwent Coroner’s Court in Newport heard on Thursday that the family kept Mediterranean buffalo to sell the milk for use as soap, but that the four-year-old bull involved in the attack – named Yolo – had taken against Peter.

Mr Jump’s wife, Josephine, said the family had purchased two cows and a bull in 2016, and while during the first two years there were no problems, they had later noticed that the bull "didn’t like Peter" and would hold its head up and "watch him".

"The bull never behaved like this with me or (Ralph) and we would keep Peter away from him," she said.

Mr Jump was in the family kitchen just before 3pm on May 5 last year when she saw that a hay ring in the field outside had been pushed against an electric fence and asked her husband to move it.

She said in a statement that she was preparing food when Isabel came into the kitchen shouting that Yolo was "pushing dad down the field" and quickly rushed outside after getting hold of a stick.

"I could see him being rolled down the hill by the bull and I could hear he was groaning. I got between them but it kept trying to get back at him. He was groaning but looked unconscious," she said.

Mrs Jump said her son, Peter, who was home from university due to the coronavirus pandemic, arrived on the muddy field holding an iron baton to "hit the bull away" from his father.

"All of a sudden, the bull started going for Peter, and got him," she said.

The bull began to walk back to where Mr Jump lay prone on the floor, prompting Mrs Jump to try and protect him, but she said she realised "he’d gone".

"I couldn’t hear him and I knew he’d passed," she said.

Mrs Jump said the bull then began attacking her daughter, who was also stood in the field while ringing emergency services, and described her being "dragged around" by the animal before it lost interest and returned to attacking Peter.

Emergency services attended the scene and noted that Peter had "an obvious hole in his neck".

Peter was taken by air ambulance to hospital with "critical" injuries, while his father, who worked as a managing director, was pronounced dead at the scene and was later found to have suffered multiple injuries to his chest, including smaller puncture wounds.

Peter, who had suffered rib fractures and lacerations, was operated on at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, but was unable to be properly ventilated as he had blood in his lungs and died later that day.

Isabel was discharged from hospital after suffering a serious injury to her leg.

Armed police who arrived at the scene shot the bull dead.

Coroner Caroline Saunders told the inquest jury they would have to determine whether "appropriate steps were taken" in terms of safety at the farm and whether "failings in working practices contributed to the deaths".

The inquest continues.