Grass guru Richard pampers his turf
Get the FREE Mirror Football newsletter by email with the day’s key headlines and transfer news
Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice
Getting your back garden lawn to look like Wembley is just like “growing a beard” said pitch guru Richard Hayden.
He said you need to care for grass like you'd care for a beard.
He said it needs to be treated properly and cut regularly to keep it in good shape.
Here are his other tips.
- Feed the lawn regularly – preferably with organic fertiliser.
- Mow the lawn at least twice a week.
- Do NOT overwater. Grass is very resilient and will grow back even in periods of hot weather.
- Invest in a mower which has a rear roller to achieve the striping effect.
- Wildflowers are great but not in the middle of lawns – grow them on the sides and around the garden.
Follow all the latest Euro 2020 news by signing up to one of the Mirror's newsletters
But he joked: “My own lawn isn't great.
“When I'm home it's a bit like a busman's holiday.
“If my girlfriend heard I would be giving advice on lawns at home I wouldn't hear the end of it!”