Harper-Lee Farnthorpe died just hours after swallowing one of the batteries (Image: BPM Media)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Parents are being warned about the dangers of button batteries after the death of a two-year-old girl.

Staffordshire Safeguarding Children's Board has issued the warning after little Harper-Lee Farnthorpe passed away at the Royal Stoke University Hospital within hours of swallowing one of the batteries.

Devastated mum Stacey Nicklin, from Abbey Hulton, discovered a remote control with a missing button battery in her daughter's bedroom following the May 23 tragedy.

Now an inquest has ruled that Harper-Lee's death was accidental, Staffordshire Live reports.

The warning is included in the board's latest edition of its child death prevention newsletter. It refers to a 'young child from Staffordshire'.

Little Harper died at the Royal Stoke University Hospital hours after swallowing the battery
(Image: BPM MEDIA)

It states: "Button batteries power everyday objects like car key fobs, remote controls and children's toys. But did you know that if they are swallowed they can badly injure, or even kill a child?

"Batteries react with saliva and if a child swallows a button battery it can burn holes and cause internal bleeding and even death.

"Tragically, a young child in Staffordshire has recently died from ingesting a button battery.

Read More
Related Articles


  • Family of lorry driver killed by drink driver who crashed at 90mph get £500,000 payout

Read More
Related Articles


  • Girl, 15, dies in tragic training accident at equestrian centre

"If you think your child has swallowed a battery then taken them straight to the nearest A&E department or call 999 for an ambulance.

"The symptoms may not be obvious. Your child might be coughing, gagging or drooling, or pointing to their throat or tummy.

"Unclear or fluctuating symptoms mean it is important to be vigilant. Trust your instincts and act fast even if there are no symptoms."

Simple home gadgets like a remote control can contain the dangerous batteries (stock image)
(Image: Getty Images/Glowimages RF)

Steps to take to keep your child safe:

  • Store spare batteries securely, out of reach;
  • Know which toys or gadgets use button batteries, check your home;
  • Get rid of ‘dead’ button batteries immediately – they still have
  • enough power to harm children;
  • Teach older children the dangers – why they shouldn’t play with them
  • or give them to younger children;
  • Place strong tape over the battery compartment on remote controls.

Sign up to our newsletter to get the day's biggest news straight to your inbox

The Mirror's newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.

The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.

Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has been informed of the tragedy.

Councillor Dave Evans, cabinet member for children and young people said: “This was a tragic accident involving a young child and our thoughts are with the family at this sad time.

"We will be working closely with all our partners to raise awareness of the dangers of button batteries to try to prevent this happening again."

ROSPA is aware of a number of deaths and some serious injuries involving children who have swallowed button batteries in the UK.