Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get all the boxing & MMA updates you need with our Mirror Fighting email update – sign up here

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Tyson Fury has said that Deontay Wilder's trainer Malik Scott had to 'save' the former heavyweight champion from their intense face-off at yesterday's press conference.

Fury and Wilder will step into the ring for a trilogy fight on July 24 in Las Vegas, and they met for the first time since their second bout at an LA media event yesterday.

And despite Wilder refusing to answer questions, they still made headlines with a staredown that went longer than six minutes, making it one of the most lengthy face-offs in the sport's history.

Neither man wanted to be the first to turn away from the other, but it was Wilder whose team eventually broke up the proceedings, leading to Fury claiming he had 'won' the staredown.

"He was listening to some easy listening classical music, but I was just telling him I'm coming to get him," Fury told Seconds Out.

"He couldn't hear me anyway even if he wanted to, he wasn't listening anyway, but it was an intense little face-off and I'm quite happy with that.

"Obviously he wanted to stare down for a long time and he felt the need to do that, but I felt like he was very uncomfortable while he stood there and he was a bit fidgety and his eyes were a bit glossy.

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder faced off last night in LA
(Image: Youtube)

"That's why Malik Scott had to come and rescue him because Sugar Hill was there and he knew 'oh Tyson is going to be there all evening.'

"It's crazy because he obviously wanted to do that stare-off thing for a long time but then he just turned away and looked away, so I think I've won another victory there.

"If he didn't want to do a long one and he didn't want to look away first, because that's what his entourage were saying 'D ain't going to look away,' all of a sudden he looks away, turns away.

"I'm thinking 'oh I wasn't expecting that,' I thought the security guards were going to get in front of us and move us apart but it didn't happen and after a minute or so he looked away."

And Fury believes he scored a 'moral victory' over a month out from the fight, when after more than six minutes of intense eyeballing, Wilder was the first to leave the stage.

The American had refused to answer any questions in the press conference, and left the event much earlier than Fury who completed all of his media duties.

Fury now believes he holds the mental edge heading into their July 24 meeting at the T-Mobile Arena.

"Again I just take it as another moral victory," Fury continued.

"Whether people want to admit it or not, whatever it is, the fact of the matter is he went to the bother of doing that and then looked away.

"It's a victory for the big GK [Gypsy King] again."