Jaskiran Kainth, 18, asked a security guard to ‘talk to me about life’ just 12 minutes before he was found unconscious

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A teenager who asked a security guard to "talk to me about life" before being fatally injured in a cell should have been under constant watch, an inquest heard.

Jaskiran Kainth, 18, died in hospital after he was fatally injured two years ago while alone in the cell at Leicester Magistrates' Court.

The inquest into his death heard from Ashu Kareer, a GeoAmey security guard who spoke to Jaskiran in the 12 minutes before he was found unconscious.

She said staff were unaware of the teenager's mental health issues and if they'd known he would've been under "constant observation", Leicester News reports.

The inquest on Monday heard how another security guard, Gary Swinn, confiscated Jaskiran's jumper after he put it "loosely" around his neck, with the arms tied together in front of his chest.

That incident was not treated as "high-risk", but after it happened security guards were told to check on Jaskiran six times an hour.

However, Miss Kareer told the inquest: "We didn't have information he was at hospital that weekend.

The teenager was found fatally injured in a cell at Leicester Magistrates' Court two years ago
(Image: BPM MEDIA)

"The jumper incident would have been taken more seriously. He would have been under constant observation.

"I would probably have sat with him in the cell. That's what I would usually do."

Miss Kareer also told the hearing, held at City Hall in Charles Street, Leicester city centre, about her "strange" conversations with Jaskiran, who lived in Braunstone Town with his dad and grandparents.

He was found injured at 12.42pm on April 29, 2019, after a court hearing over criminal damage he had been accused of causing to his father and grandfather's cars.

Discussing the earlier part of that day, Miss Kareer said: "He was constantly on his cell buzzer through the morning.

"I remember I went to his cell and he had his back to me and I couldn't hear what he was saying. I asked him to turn around so I could hear him.

"His first question was, 'Can you talk to me about life?' I found that a bit strange."

She said Jaskiran was calm and polite, and that he went on to tell her he was being "abused" by his family, but then changed the subject without saying what sort of abuse he meant.

She said: "It concerned me. I tried to find out how they were abusing him."

Miss Kareer said she arranged for him to speak to a mental health worker, who visited him.

Coroner Ivan Cartwright asked Miss Kareer if she thought Jaskiran was a risk to himself during the morning, and she said she did not.

Then, at 12.30pm, Mr Swinn found Jaskiran with his jumper around his neck, and it was confiscated.

Miss Kareer spoke to the teenager again after that, in the 12 minutes between his jumper being confiscated and his injury.

She said she asked Jaskiran why he had put the jumper around his neck, and that he had replied, "Sorry".

The security guard said she then told him she was going to get his lunch, and that he said, "Thank you".

Moments later, Miss Kareer said, she heard her colleagues shouting for assistance from Jaskiran's cell. He had been found unconscious, face-down on the floor of his cell.

"I ran out of the kitchen, I went to cell nine and saw officers doing CPR on him," she told the hearing.

"I froze. I was in shock."

Giving evidence after Miss Kareer, Mr Swinn said the jumper incident had not made him believe Jaskiran was likely to take his own life, and added that the teenager had not given any explanation for tying his jumper around his neck.

"He was a very polite young man and he just said, 'I'm sorry'," Mr Swinn told the inquest.

"I didn't deem it a threat because it wasn't tight around him."

The security guard said he had taken away the jumper, and Jaskiran's shoelaces and coat, but left him his jogging bottoms.

He said: "I didn't want to leave him naked."

He said he then filled out an incident form and arranged more regular checks.

Mr Swinn told the hearing that he was "shocked" to see the teenager face down on the floor 12 minutes later.

Jaskiran was rushed to hospital and kept on life support until May 3, when he was pronounced dead.

The inquest, which is being heard with a jury present, continues.