Darcy-Rae, 7, was left ‘crying for an hour’ after being stung by a weever fish at the beach (Image: HullLive/WS)

Fancy an escape? Sign up to the Chill newsletter for weekly inspiration and advice on UK holidays

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign Up!When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A seven-year-old girl was left "screaming" in pain after being stung by a weever fish while paddling in the sea.

Darcy-Rae Kellaway was enjoying a splash in the sea at Hornsea beach during the sweltering heat on Sunday when the tiny venomous creature struck.

Mum Michelle, from Hull, said she suddenly saw her daughter come rushing out of the sea in "complete shock, saying something had 'got' her", reports HullLive.

"I just went into a panic thinking, oh my God, what can it be? Is it a jellyfish?"

Darcy-Rae's dad scooped her up and carried her off the beach, before a doughnut seller advised him to take her to the leisure centre for first aid.

Have you ever been stung by a weever fish at the beach? Let us know at [email protected]

The venomous fish stung Darcy-Rae while she paddled at Hornea beach
(Image: HullLive/WS)

Michelle praised centre manager John who helped to calm her daughter down and put her foot in hot water, which soothed the pain and reduced swelling.

"He confirmed it was from a weever fish as her foot was very puffy and you could see a row of spine holes," she explained.

The mum said Darcy-Rae "screamed for about an hour" with her skin turning white "like it does with a wasp or bee sting".

Weever fish hide in the sand on the shoreline and are found across UK coasts
(Image: HullLive/WS)

Sand-coloured weever fish bury themselves in the sand – and if someone stands on them, spines on their dorsal fin embed into the foot and inject venom.

They are found all over the UK coastline, and while not dangerous, the sting is very painful.

Michelle said while she has since learned there are warning signs alerting beachgoers, there weren't any on the stretch of sand where Darcy-Rae was stung.

Darcy-Rae's mum Michelle said there were no warning signs on the stretch of beach her daughter was on
(Image: HullLive/WS)

"I didn't see any signs there, so clearly they could do with more," she said, having returned to the beach to warn other families.

Michelle later shared a warning on social media, advising parents to ensure children are wearing water shoes when paddling, which was shared 1,000 times in 24 hours.

Darcy-Rae took the day off school on Monday due to her foot still being sore.

"I think it takes a couple of days to return to normal. She's fine, but it wasn't a nice experience and we want others to know about it, so it doesn't happen to them either," said Michelle.

"It's still painful and the spine holes are still visible in her foot," she added.