Terrill Hughson and her son Sean Cameron (Image: Daily Record)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A devastated mum claims her son was left alone to die in a homeless unit after he was beaten unconscious by fellow residents.

Terrill Hughson, 48, said her son Sean Cameron, 29, was attacked at Springkerse House, operated by Stirling Council, on November 1 last year.

A letter from the Crown Office, dated January 6, stated that Sean had died of “methadone and etizolam intoxication”.

Terrill, from Stirling, told the Daily Record that Sean was "knocked unconscious" in his room and declined to go to hospital when paramedics and police arrived.

It was thought Sean had taken drugs, and no-one checked on him until almost seven hours later when he was found dead, she added.

Got a story? Email [email protected]

Terrill Hughson and her son Sean Cameron
(Image: Daily Record)

Terrill decided to speak out after she was allegedly “messed around and passed from pillar to post” by Stirling Council.

Sean had drug problems and battled addiction to anti-anxiety drug diazepam.

The letter from the Crown Office stated that he had died of “methadone and etizolam intoxication”.

Etizolam is a highly-addictive street version of diazepam and can be 10 times stronger. It has been linked to scores of deaths in Scotland.

Sean would light up the room when he was drug-free, his mum said.

She added: “ Everybody liked him. He was kind and funny and would do anything for you.

“People hear someone has died and had drug problems and some of them write off that person but Sean and other lads I’ve known had so much going for them.

“Somebody has to come up with a way to stop this waste of life and provide proper care when they need it so that other families don’t go through what we have.”

Just hours before Sean died, CCTV footage showed two people going into his room, his mum said.

She said: “We also know staff went up to investigate and found Sean unconscious in his room with facial injuries.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Thug who spat on man complaining he wasn't wearing mask properly jailed for 10 years

Read More
Related Articles

  • Naked mum 'threw her newborn baby and toddler from flat' to horror of eye-witnesses

“They called an ambulance at around 2am, and paramedics called the police for support around 2.15am.

“Sean came round and didn’t want to go to hospital, preferring to go to his bed.

“Emergency staff left him at 3.25am and we know he spoke to a member of staff about food at 3.35am, then went back to his room.

“Given he was suspected of having taken drugs and then had been knocked unconscious, you’d think they’d either have compelled him to go to hospital or looked in on him from time to time in the night.

"But nobody checked on him until nearly seven hours later and they found him dead around 10.00am.

“Staff knew he’d taken drugs, they’d found him beaten unconscious.

“What would it have taken for them to consider his life was in danger?”

Terrill claims a police officer told her repeatedly that only one other person had entered Sean’s room before he was beaten up.

But she said she has since been told the footage showed two men.

Her attempts to view the footage were blocked by data protection issues.

Terrill added: “I know that people with drug problems are treated as less important.

“I’ve seen it and experienced it too as the mum of someone who died from taking drugs. But Sean was my son, and all these vulnerable people are someone’s son, someone’s dad, someone’s brother. They matter.”

Police Scotland’s Detective Chief Inspector Colin Campbell said: “Sean’s family were informed of the circumstances surrounding the death as soon as officers had established what had happened.”

A spokesperson for Stirling Council said: “Sean Cameron’s death was tragic and our sympathies remain with his family and friends.”