Helen Chater was given a suspended sentence (Image: WALES NEWS SERVICE)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A woman glassed a man in the face after he said he would throw water on her during a birthday party.

Helen Chater was at a neighbour's for a 21st birthday party in the garden in Tredegar on April 25 last year and guests were said to be "consuming alcohol and in good spirits", Cardiff Crown Court heard.

But after a guest vomited in front of the house, tensions escalated and Wayne Miller – the partner of Chater's neighbour – decided to play a prank, reports Wales Online.

The court heard Mr Miller then threatened to pour water over 44-year-old Chater.

Helen Chater was at a neighbour's for a 21st birthday party in the garden in Tredegar

Prosecuting counsel Alexander Greenwood said: "During the course of the exchange Mr Miller, who is described as someone who is a practical joker, then threatened to pour the water over the defendant.

"It would appear that he did in fact throw the water in her direction."

In response, Chater went into the front garden at the property, in Brynbach Street, and threw drinks from the table at Mr Miller before grabbing a glass and striking him once to the top of the head.

"The glass smashed and he received a wound to his head," Mr Greenwood added.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Mum urges schools to teach about drugs after son dies from painkiller overdose

Read More
Related Articles

  • Student left with £62 to survive after dad lost job during Covid pandemic

Mr Miller was taken to the Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, where his injury was found to be "superficial".

The police were called and Chater was arrested. During her police interview it was heard she maintained she had been acting in self defence and that Mr Miller had thrown a bucket of water over her leaving her "soaked".

In a victim impact statement read in court, it was heard Mr Miller has been left with a scar as a result of the injury.

He said: "The incident has left me feeling low on confidence and motivation. I struggle to get out of bed in the morning and go about my daily routine."

Read More
Related Articles

  • Gang smash into house in terrifying raid to attack man with garden shears

During the hearing, Claire Pickthall, mitigating, said her client has been diagnosed with "complex PTSD" – which she argued could go some way to explain her "out of character" behaviour during the incident.

It was also heard Chater, who has no previous convictions, had expressed remorse and shame for her actions and that an immediate custodial sentence would be "absolutely devastating" for her family and young daughter.

While the defendant has not tried to excuse her actions, the victim had been "aggravating people all afternoon", Ms Pickthall added.

Chater pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

In sentencing Chater, Judge Niclas Parry referred to a picture of Mr Miller's injury caused by the defendant.

He said: "I can not take my eyes off this photograph – the photograph of the injury that you caused. It simply underlines what you could have done, you could have taken his eye.

"Mercifully there is medical evidence that tells me that this picture in fact does not quite paint the full picture and that the injury you caused was superficial.

"But they were caused when you in drink used a weapon to somebody's head."

Chater was sentenced to 12 months in custody, suspended for 18 months and undergo a curfew using an electronic monitor for three months.

She must also undergo a rehabilitation activity requirement.