Steven McMyler was kicked to death (Image: MEN Media)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Two men and two teenagers have been jailed for the manslaughter of a father-of-two who was kicked to death for his £11,000 gold Rolex watch.

CCTV footage captured the horrific attack on Steven McMyler, 34, within the gardens of Wigan parish church in the early evening of August 6 last year.

Last month Lewis Peake 29, Michael Wilson, 20, and two youths from Liverpool, aged 14 and 17, were convicted at Manchester Crown Court of manslaughter after a jury found they deliberately helped or encouraged the attack.

All four were also found guilty of conspiracy to rob.

On Friday, Peake,from Bolton, was jailed for 13 years; Wilson from Kirkby, received a nine-year sentence, and the 14-year-old and 17-year-old, who both cannot be identified for legal reasons, will be detained for six years and eight years.

The attack took place on August 6 last year
(Image: MEN Media)

A fifth defendant will go on trial later this year over Mr McMyler's death.

On the day of his death the joiner had been in a nearby town centre pub when Peake, 29, learned he was wearing the 18-carat Submariner watch.

Peake first tried to persuade two boys, aged 12 and 13, outside The Raven pub to help him rob Mr McMyler and offered them £100 each, a court heard.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Boy, 13, charged with murder of man found dead in gardens of church

When the offer was rejected he persisted with his "cowardly" plan as, by chance, the group from Liverpool entered the churchyard after arriving by train from the city, the court was told.

The Crown said the defendants were "opportunistic predators" who saw an opportunity to take advantage of Mr McMyler, who was alone and worse the wear for drink as he was kicked in the head.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Boy, 14, and teen, 17, guilty of killing joiner as they tried to steal his £11k Rolex

The trial heard Mr McMyler had opted for a "clean break" by travelling to Thailand, but decided against it when he realised he needed to self-isolate for a fortnight because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

He returned from London to his home on the afternoon of August 6 and still had his suitcase with him.

The court heard Peake later shamelessly returned to the attack scene and casually made off with Mr McMyler's phone and suitcase as he lay dying.

The dad-of-two was attacked within the gardens of Wigan parish church
(Image: MEN MEDIA)

The watch has never been recovered.

Sentencing, Mr Justice Turner told the defendants: "The jury were sure the CCTV depicted you Peake taking the Liverpool group to one side and shortly after Mr McMyler was attacked with all of you in close and intimidatory proximity.

"After the attack the members of the Liverpool group all ran off and made their escape in what am I sure was a state of exhilaration, the description given by witnesses.

"I have heard about the impact which Mr McMyler's death has had upon his mother, his two young daughters and their mothers.

"His loss has had a deep impact and no sentence of this court will come close to atoning for his death."