Craig Sampson had only been out of prison on licence for a matter of months when he jumped into the passenger seat beside the victim, held a screwdriver to her neck (Image: Media Wales)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A woman was kidnapped, threatened with a screwdriver and made to drive her attacker away in her car – all while her daughter listened over the phone.

Craig Sampson, 40, had only been out of prison on licence for a matter of months when he jumped into the passenger seat beside his victim and held a screwdriver to her neck, before ordering her to drive away because he needed to leave the area.

The victim, who is the mother of a serving police officer, was left traumatised by the kidnapping and is now frightened of going out on her own, reports Wales Online.

She had driven to a friend's house in Frederick Place, in Llansamlet, Swansea, to deliver a birthday card on the morning of February 12, 2019, Swansea Crown Court heard.

Shortly before 7.30am she dropped off the card and got back into her car while chatting to her daughter on her phone.

As she did, Sampson – his face partially obscured by a scarf and hat – jumped into the passenger seat beside her and subjected her to the terrifying ordeal.

The court heard Sampson forced the woman to drive onto Peniel Green Road and over the M4 roundabout heading for Skewen, all while he became increasingly agitated and told her he knew where she lived.

He also warned her against trying to signal for help by flashing the headlights.

Swansea court heard they drove onto Peniel Green Road and over the M4 roundabout heading for Skewen, with Sampson becoming increasingly agitated and telling his victim that he knew where she lived and warning her against trying to signal for help
(Image: Media Wales)

Read More
Related Articles

  • Healthy mum-of-six suffered shooting skull pain while drinking glass of orange juice

As they approached the Bowen Arms pub Sampson told the woman to stop the car and he fled on foot, but not before warning her again that he knew where she lived.

The whole incident, which lasted around three minutes, was overheard by the woman's daughter who was still on the phone. The daughter, who was in an extremely distressed state, rang her brother – a policeman – to tell him what had happened.

A major manhunt was launched, and the defendant was subsequently identified and tracked down.

In an impact statement from the victim which was read to the court, she said she had genuinely feared she was going to die at the hands of her attacker.

She said had been left feeling nervous about going out alone, and was no longer able to go jogging or even take her dog for a walk. She said she was jumpy whenever anyone rang the door bell, and was on a waiting list to receive counselling.

Sign up to our newsletter to get the day's biggest news straight to your inbox

The Mirror's newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.

The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.

Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

Craig Sidney Sampson, of no fixed abode, had previously been convicted of kidnap at trial when he appeared in the dock for sentence. At his trial he chose not to give evidence in his own defence.

The defendant has 23 previous convictions for 123 offences, including for assault occasioning actual bodily harm, arson, aggravated vehicle taking, armed robberies, inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent, and possession of a firearm.

The last offences relate to an incident in Loughor when he was part of a gang which forced its way into a house, held a family captive, and stabbed and then shot the victim with a shotgun.

At the time of the Llansamlet kidnapping he had only been out of prison on licence from an indeterminate sentence for public protection for five months. He was recalled to prison on this sentence following his arrest for kidnap – the second time he has been released and then recalled.

Ann Tayo, for Sampson, said the defendant had grown up in an abusive household with a largely absent father, and by the age of 14 was already committing offences.

She said the defendant had spent around two-thirds of his life in prison and was "institutionalised" but during his last period of liberty had engaged with probation.

The barrister said that on the day in question the defendant reported feeling the presence of spirits and suddenly experienced an "overwhelming sense of fear" and the need to get away from the area. She added that he was remorseful for what he had done.

Judge Huw Rees told Sampson he had subjected his victim to a terrifying and traumatic ordeal, and while she had not suffered any physical injury, the emotional and psychological impact was clearly "marked and enduring". He said it was hard to think of a more frightening scenario.

The judge said in his view the defendant could properly be classed as a dangerous offender under the meaning of the legislation, and as such an extended sentence was necessary to protect the public.

Sampson was made the subject of a 13-year extended sentence comprising eight years in prison, followed by an extended five-year licence period.

He must serve two-thirds of the custodial element of the sentence before he can apply for release but it will be for the Parole Board to decide to release him.