Panic-stricken Nicole Walker was grateful for the help of the nurse, who saved little Isabella (Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)
Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories
Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice
A woman who was running late for her uncle's funeral was thankful for her poor timekeeping after saving a baby's life.
Nurse Kelly Doyle for Wallasey, Merseyside, saw a frantic mum running around the street.
The panic-stricken parent found her five-month-old daughter Isabella unresponsive and turning blue in her cot.
The Liverpool Echo report that she stopped and gave the child medical attention.
Saving the baby, she says if she wasn't running late she would have missed her plea for help.
The 32-year-old said: "I saw the lady with something in her arms and said to my mum 'I hope that is not a baby'.
The Walker family were so grateful that she stopped her car
(Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)
"My mum said to me 'I think it is' and she said she heard her crying out 'she's not breathing, she's not breathing'.
"We were running 10 minutes late for my uncle's funeral, but I knew I had to stop."
Mum's Christmas weight gain was actually a tumour the 'size of a newborn baby'
Fit and healthy man, 22, collapses and dies at the gym after using punching bag
Kelly, who works for Alder Hey Children's Hospital, said this was the first time she had to give first aid in the community.
She said: "The baby was passed to a neighbour and then to me.
"I could see a bit of sick on her face and immediately started CPR. My mum was on the phone to the ambulance keeping them up to date with what was happening.
"I felt lucky that she came around so quickly, by the time the ambulance came she seemed fully alert.
Kelly saved the life of five-month-old baby Isabella
"We had to quickly go to the funeral and I had no idea if she was OK so I called back at the neighbours afterward to check how she was."
"I don't think it has quite sunk in yet and I don't think it will for a while, I was just so glad everything was OK."
Kelly also said it highlighted the importance of every parent knowing how to do basic first aid.
She added: "It is so easy to learn and you just modify it for a baby by using less force and less fingers – I only used three fingers to help the baby."
The tot choked on some of her sick and almost died
(Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)
Isabella's mum Nicole, who is also mum to Peytein, eight, Laila, seven, Nevaeh, five and Harrison, three, said: "She had choked on some of her sick – the nurse who helped has seen this when she gave her CPR.
"She had had problems with reflux in the past, but I had never expected this, it was so scary.
Sign up to our newsletter to get the day's biggest news straight to your inbox
The Mirror's newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.
Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.
"I have been checking on her constantly.
"I am definitely signing up for a first aid course and I would recommend all parents do one.
"You see these types of things happen on TV and never think they will happen to you, but they could happen to anyone.
"I am just so thankful to the woman who saved her life."