Queues can be seen at Scarborough Grand Hotel (Image: MEN MEDIA)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A visitor to Scarborough's Grand Hotel has slammed the venue after a "nightmare from hell" visit.

Paul Henderson went to the old Scarborough hotel over the recent bank holiday but claimed that after hours of trying to check in opted to turn around and drove 130 miles home without staying a night.

He claimed there were huge queues for people waiting for hours just to check in at the hotel when he visited with his 10-year-old son on the morning of May 30.

Mr Henderson also told Yorkshire Live that he witnessed other guests arguing with staff and demanding refunds.

He said that he approached Britannia Hotels, which owns and runs the hotel, about receiving a refund but has not yet received a reply.

Have you experienced anything of the sort lately? Let us know at [email protected]

Mr Henderson said the hotel 'should be shut down'
(Image: Loop Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

Mr Henderson said: "The hotel should be shut down."

He continued: "If we were staying at a refugee camp we would not have been through so bad an experience."

Mr Henderson and his son travelled on the Sunday morning from their home in Darwen, Lancashire, to visit friends in the North Yorkshire town.

He said that upon arriving at 10.30am it took them 30 minutes of queuing to be provided a parking ticket so that they could park on the hotel's ground.

He also asked to check in but was told that they didn't allow people to check in until 4pm.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Mum drives 100 miles home after 'laughing' bouncers 'refuse to let her in hotel'

After spending a couple of hours with his friends he went back to the hotel, only to find that the queue was snaking around the lobby.

He said he went out into Scarborough and came back hoping that it would have shortened on two further occasions but found it "got bigger and longer with the same people from hours earlier in it".

Mr Henderson said: "At eight o'clock at night there were people going up the stairs in the hotel.

"People were sitting on the floor. It was crazy.

"I went to the back of the queue and the people there said they'd been there for ages."

He said: "I'd paid for my hotel in advance. I had my 10-year-old boy and there was no way I was queuing at half 10 at night with him. I got in the car and drove the 133 miles home. What else could we do?"

Mr Henderson said he has issued a complaint to Britannia and requested a refund and said that, if he doesn't receive it, he will take them to the small claims court.

He also said that he would urge the local MP and councillors to address the issues faced at the hotel as a matter of protecting the town's reputation for those wanting to visit.

The Grand Hotel is a grade II listed building that overlooks Scarborough's South Bay. Upon being opened in 1867 it was the largest hotel and brick structure in Europe.

The Mirror has contacted Britannia Hotels for comment.