Usman Khan, the Fishmongers’ Hall terrorist, was lawfully killed by armed police who believed he was attempting to set off a suicide vest, an inquest jury has concluded.

The 28-year-old jihadist, who murdered two Cambridge University graduates,  was gunned down by officers on London Bridge in November 2019.

The inquest heard how six police officers from the Met and City of London fired 20 times at Khan after being sanctioned to carry out a so-called "critical shot".

The officers had believed that Khan, who was wearing a fake suicide vest, was about to trigger the explosive device and cause mass casualties.

Twelve of the 20 bullets hit Khan, and a forensic pathologist gave the cause of death as haemorrhage due to multiple gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

Usman Khan had previously been jailed for plotting a terror attack

Jurors concluded on Thursday that Khan had been lawfully killed by anonymous police officers following a two-week inquest at the City of London’s Guildhall, half a mile from where he died.

The were directed to return a short form conclusion of lawful killing by coroner Mark Lucraft QC on the ground that each of the officers who shot Khan believed it was necessary to do so to protect themselves and others.

In a longer, narrative conclusion, the jury said that when they shot Khan dead, the officers "believed he was trying to find a trigger" on a suicide vest, and that when they opened fire, they feared Khan was moving "to detonate the device".

Khan had been released from prison the previous year, having been jailed for plotting a terror attack.

After being invited to attend the Learning Together education event at Fishmongers’ Hall, he stabbed to death volunteers, Saskia Jones, 23, and 25-year-old Jack Merritt.

Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones were murdered by terrorist Usman Khan in Fishmongers Hall attack 

After stabbing the pair, Khan was chased from Fishmongers’ Hall, by members of the public who tried to incapacitate him – striking him with a chair, a fire extinguisher and even a narwhal tusk grabbed from the walls of the venue.