Victims Bibaa Henry (left) and Nicole Smallman (Image: PA)

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A teenager stabbed two sisters to death after seeking a deal with a 'demon' for their "sacrifice" to win him the lottery, a court has heard.

Danyal Hussein, 19, allegedly killed Bibaa Henry, 46, and Nicole Smallman, 27, in a "savage" attack at a lockdown birthday party on June 5.

The two women had danced in the sunset in a park in Wembley, northwest London as a makeshift celebration for Ms Henry.

But their bodies were found intertwined and concealed in a hedgerow the next day, the Old Bailey was told.

Police allegedly uncovered a handwritten note in Hussein's home purporting to make a bargain with a demon to "sacrifice" women for gain.

The defendant also bought lottery tickets, three of which were folded inside the note, jurors were told.

Got a story? Email [email protected]

A court sketch of Danyal Hussein
(Image: PA)

Opening Hussein's murder trial on Wednesday, prosecutor Oliver Glasgow QC told how the women had chosen to go to the park due to restrictions during the first lockdown.

He said the sisters had enjoyed themselves so much that they decided to stay on after their guests had left and lit fairy lights, listened to music and danced.

When they failed to come home, their loved ones became concerned and some of their closest friends went back to the park to search.

Police were alerted after the women's glasses were discovered by the searchers.

A few moments later a knife was found lying in the grass.

The women were celebrating a birthday in the park
(Image: PA)

A trail of flattened grass led to the "shocking" discovery of the bodies, Mr Glasgow said.

The prosecutor said the women had been "butchered" one after the other.

Describing the scene, he said: "The bodies of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman lay on their sides, they were top to toe and their limbs were intertwined, both of them had been repeatedly stabbed and they were clearly dead.

"The attack upon them had been as savage as it was devastating."

Ms Henry was stabbed eight times and Ms Smallman was stabbed 28 times, jurors heard.

Mr Glasgow suggested Ms Henry was taken by surprise and overpowered first, then Ms Smallman attempted to fight off her attacker.

"Once the two sisters had been brutally murdered, their killer dragged their bodies across the grass and concealed them in a hedgerow," he said.

The court heard that a combination of forensic evidence and CCTV footage led police to Hussein.

His DNA was at the scene, on the bodies of the victims and on a bloodstained knife found nearby, it was alleged.

In addition, Hussein had allegedly bought a set of knives in Asda and attended hospital the day after the killings with cuts to his hand from a knife.

Investigators also uncovered handwritten notes at the defendant's home setting out his intention to kill women "as part of a sacrifice to secure personal advantage for himself", Mr Glasgow said.

Police were alerted after the women's glasses were discovered by the searchers
(Image: SWNS)

He told jurors: "When the defendant's bedroom was searched, the police found a handwritten document purporting to be an agreement between the defendant and a demon, in which he promised to sacrifice women in order to win the lottery and not to be suspected of any crime he had committed.

"It would appear that the defendant had confidence that his plan would work since following the fatal attacks upon Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman, the defendant purchased several lottery tickets and three lottery tickets folded up inside the agreement he had written with the devil."

Mr Glasgow added: "As it turned out, the demon did not come good on the bargain since not only did the defendant not win the lottery but the police identified all the evidence that links him to these two murders."

Hussein, of Guy Barnett Grove, Blackheath, south-east London, has denied double murder and possessing a knife.

The trial before Mrs Justice Whipple is due to go on for up to four weeks.