Two siblings have been jailed for manslaughter after feeding kebab meat to an intoxicated man as he slept.

David Noble, 34, was jailed for three years and three months and his sister Nicole Cavin, 24, was sentenced to three years in prison on Wednesday, a spokesman for British Transport Police (BTP) said.

The pair, who were found guilty following a trial in Preston, had been on a train to Barrow, Cumbria, in March 2019 when they forced kebab meat into the mouth of David Clark, 56, as he appeared to be sleeping.

Noble, of Grange-Over-Sands, and Cavin, of Flookburgh, knew Mr Clark but were returning from a separate day out when they ended up sitting together after he boarded the train at Lancaster.

Mr Clark vomited and awoke but collapsed as he tried to stand, the BTP spokesman said.

Cavin, who was a carer at the time, removed some meat from his mouth, the court was told.

Paramedics were called and took Mr Clark to hospital, where he died the following day.

‘Highly complex’ legal case

Detective Chief Inspector Steve May said "This was an unusual and highly complex legal case and I commend the courage of those witnesses who came forward and provided statements and those who attended court to give evidence.

"The dignity and composure of Mr Clark’s family has been exemplary throughout and I hope that they can take some comfort in the knowledge that justice has been done.

"Our investigative team deserve mention for their consistent and thorough work to see this case brought to its conclusion."

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Gemma Jones said: "This is an incredibly tragic case and we send our heartfelt sympathies to the family of the victim David Clark.

"We are pleased that the case has finally been brought to a conclusion."