Luke Louden was left paralysed after the incident (Image: Scottish Ambulance Service/ SWNS)

Get our daily coronavirus email newsletter with all the news you need to know direct to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A dad has spoken of his heartbreak after a horror incident that left him paralysed and with 33 broken bones.

Luke Louden, 31, was involved in a car crash near his village of Whauphill, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, on August 13, 2020.

He lost control of his car and hit a tree before being thrown down into a field, the Daily Record reports.

Paramedics saved his life, but he suffered severe injuries and was left paralysed below the chest.

The dad-of-four, who used to work as a dairyman, had to undergo three operations due to an open fracture on his leg and spent months in hospital away from his family.

Luke's car after the crash in August last year
(Image: Scottish Ambulance Service/ SWNS)

Due to the coronavirus lockdown, he could not leave the ward to see his family or friends and only his wife was allowed to visit him one hour per day.

Over the past two months, Luke had to use a standing frame that helps circulation, muscle stretch and prevent osteoporosis.

He told the Daily Record: "I cannot express fully the thanks I have for the crews who attended my crash.

Luke was left with 33 broken bones
(Image: Scottish Ambulance Service/ SWNS)

"They were highly professional and their efficient treatment saved my left leg, which I had to have operated on and a fasciotomy performed.

"As a family we are extremely thankful."

Luke said his recovery has been “slow and painful” and added: “I have struggled with Allodynia, which means the slightest breath to an area causes severe pain.

Read More
Related Articles

  • Man, 35, charged after death of girl, 11, struck by car while crossing street

Read More
Related Articles

  • Boy, 13, dies after stolen car he was driving rolled and burst into flames

"It’s been a steep learning curve, not to mention all the medication I now have to take and the side effects many of them come with.

“While in the spinal unit you have a lot of time to think about negative things like ‘why me?’, ‘what have I done to deserve this?’ and loads of pointless negative thoughts, but thankfully I had my faith which has given me great comfort.

Luke with his wife and four children before the incident
(Image: Scottish Ambulance Service/ SWNS)

“Not only getting to grips with the change to my lifestyle has been hard but the separation from my wife and four young children has been almost unbearable. I have missed birthdays, seeing our son learn to stand and take his first steps.”

The 31-year-old has also created a GoFundMe to raise money after the incident and has so far reached £7,440.

With the funds, he hopes to buy a powered wheelchair attachment which will allow him to join his wife and four children on walks through the forest and on the beach.

On the GoFundMe page, he wrote: "Not being active is so out of character for me and it has been difficult at times to come to terms with.

"Looking back at memories can be so bitter sweet because I can see all the things I used to be able to do with my children and now can’t. "

To donate to Luke's fundraiser, click here.