Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now
Get all the boxing & MMA updates you need with our Mirror Fighting email update – sign up here
Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice
Khabib Nurmagomedov has confirmed he rejected an offer to come out of retirement and fight boxing legend Floyd Mayweather.
The former UFC lightweight champion decided to hang up his gloves at the request of his mum after his dad Abdulmanap passed away last year.
His last bout was against Justin Gaethje in October 2020 when Nurmagomedov choked out his rival in the second round.
And he has said while he is always tempted to fight again, the lure of taking on Mayweather was not enough to bring him out of retirement.
He said: "The enticement is always there. There were such discussions with Saudi Arabia. They wanted me to fight there. I don’t know about $100 million. That wasn’t the exact sum… but about that.”
Khabib Nurmagomedov declined an offer to fight Floyd Mayweather
And while Nurmagomedov was unsure if the offer was $100m, his manager Ali Abdelaziz has confirmed that was the amount put forward.
Abdelaziz said on the Hot Boxin' podcast with Mike Tyson: "Khabib got offered $100 million after he was retired to fight Floyd Mayweather.
“$100 million… $100 million, and you can ask Floyd, you can ask everybody.
"Khabib said, ‘No, I’m retired. I told my mother I’m retired. I’m going to keep my word to my mother. If my mother told me to fight again, maybe I would, but right now, she told me not to fight'."
Nurmagomedov had teased a return to the cage earlier this year when UFC president Dana White attempted to coax him out of retirement.
But he eventually relinquished his title which was later won by Charles Oliveira when he beat Michael Chandler.
Mayweather, meanwhile, has taken on a UFC fighter before in the boxing ring when he defeated Irish fighter Conor McGregor.
And the US star will next take on YouTuber Logan Paul in an exhibition fight in Miami this Sunday.
But the ring legend appears to have lost his aura after Paul claimed he was left underwhelmed when they came face to face.
He told the True Geordie podcast : "I kid you not. I said this on stage, the only thing I could think was 'this is the guy?' This is the larger than life, highest paid athlete in the world? The greatest boxer of our generation?
"I was looking down going 'this is it?' It was slightly underwhelming, not a let-down but for me exciting because I really thought that I'm going to do this.
"I'm just not intimidated, not impressed."
Many fans would think Paul should be intimidated as he is going up against the undefeated American star while Paul has not had such luck in his short boxing career.
He has been in two fights, both against fellow Youtuber KSI, and his record stands at one draw and one loss.
Despite the odds being stacked against Paul, former world champion Carl Froch has said Mayweather could ruin his legacy in the fight.
He told Sky Sports : "Mayweather could end up making a mockery of his whole career. If he gets caught and gets put down, it will be embarrassing. If he loses, he might as well get a one-way ticket to Australia."