The two notes in the hotel window appeared to give conflicting information (Image: Lincolnshire Live)

Fancy an escape? Sign up to the Chill newsletter for weekly inspiration and advice on UK holidays

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign Up!When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A couple who travelled 100 miles for a seaside staycation have been left outraged after they arrived to find the hotel had been closed one day after accepting their booking.

Nicola Barnes, 52, and Paul Ward, 53, paid £81 in advance for a getaway at The Premier Hotel on Lincoln Road, near Skegness Pier, on May 29.

Amid the ongoing Covid travel restrictions curbing foreign holidays to popular destinations, the couple had been hoping for a peaceful staycation.

Their plans went out of the window when they turned up after the three-hour journey to find their accommodation locked.

One sign said the closure was due to "fire restrictions" while another claimed it was because of Government Covid regulations, reports Leicestershire Live.

The owner of the hotel has since claimed he informed booking.com, the website they used to pay for a room, about a fire safety inspection on May 17.

Dr J.R. Kodali said the hotel, which is not connected to the Premier Inn hotel chain, was having safer doors fitted after its previous ones failed to meet fire safety standards.

The Premier Hotel in Skegness
(Image: Google)

Read More
Related Articles


  • New economy cabin has double decker seats so passengers have more room to recline

Read More
Related Articles


  • UK beaches rammed as Brits unable to get abroad flock to seasides in 26C heat

But Paul has branded the ordeal an "absolute outrage" after they contacted booking.com only to be offered other rooms in Wainfleet or Rippingale, neither of which are near the beach.

The couple decided to decline their offers, as they wanted a seaside break, and booking.com has advised they will get a refund and compensation for their hassle.

Paul said: "It's an absolute outrage. They took our booking and our money and upon arrival the hotel was shut."

"We arrived there after a three-hour drive to check in at 3pm and I thought it was a bit strange that there was only one car in the car park.

"Then we saw the notes on the door and called the hotel and eventually someone answered who said he'd only come in to the hotel to sort the computer out.

"He said they had not been open for a week due to a health and safety issue that needed to be notified and that booking.com should have let us know."

Nicola said: "We have not been away for ages and we just wanted a night away at the seaside.

"Unfortunately, that did not happen and after a three-hour drive to get there, we turned around and drove back home because the hotel was closed."

Get the information that matters

With so much changing so quickly, keep on top of what is happening with the Mirror's news updates by email.

Delivered straight to your inbox, our daily coronavirus briefing will keep you informed of what is happening with Covid, lockdown, the vaccination rollout and the impact on how we live. Sign up here.

Dr Kodali said: "He said: "The fire department found that the gap between the bedroom doors and the frames was 2-3mm more than is acceptable. In some cases it was 5-6mm."

A booking.com spokesman said: "Our primary aim at booking.com is to enable smooth and enjoyable travel experiences for our customers.

"In the rare instance that a property cannot accommodate a booking, our customer service team is available 24/7 to help support in finding a suitable alternative as quickly as possible.

"In this instance, as this is not the experience we want for any of our customers, we have apologised, provided a full refund for this booking and offered an additional gesture of goodwill in the amount of £150 to cover their transportation costs and for the inconvenience caused."