Publishedduration13 hours agoRelated Topics

  • Coronavirus pandemic

image copyrightPA Mediaimage captionIan Jones had also suffered malaria, dengue fever and coronavirus while out in India

A British charity worker in India has been blinded and paralysed by a potentially lethal snakebite.

Ian Jones, from the Isle of Wight, was bitten by a cobra in a village near Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

His family said he was "very frightened" by his condition although they hoped his blindness and leg paralysis were only temporary.

Mr Jones has previously suffered from malaria, dengue fever and coronavirus while in India, his son said.

The former healthcare worker was running a charity-backed social enterprise aimed at helping craftspeople trade their way out of poverty.

Claire Robertson, from Community Action Isle of Wight which runs the enterprise, said: "Ian was living temporarily in the social enterprise's warehouse in Jodphur so he could be closer to the people he supports.

"He was in an area of the warehouse that he'd made his living quarters when his adopted dog, Rocky, started barking, and when he reached out to soothe him the cobra, alerted by his sudden movement, bit him twice."