Stephen Kenny was already under pressure having not won a match in his first eight games in charge of the national side
Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny is being investigated by his own football association after showing an “anti-English” video ahead of the defeat to England at Wembley last week.
Kenny is understood to have left some of his squad shocked at the motivational footage on the eve of the friendly. The 49-year-old, who was appointed in April, is popular among a number of his players but the investigation will put his job under scrutiny.
“The Football Association of Ireland is aware of issues surrounding content shared with our senior men’s team ahead of the recent friendly against England at Wembley Stadium,” said the FAI in a statement. “The FAI is already looking into this matter internally as a matter of urgency to establish the facts. The FAI has no further comment to make at this time.”
It has been confirmed to the Daily Telegraph that players were shown a history of Anglo-Irish relations before the clash on Thursday evening, which saw England win after goals from Harry Maguire, Jadon Sancho and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
Kenny has overseen eight matches since stepping up from the Under-21s but has failed to win a game, drawing four and losing the others in his eight months in charge.
A dressing-room source said there were players upset by the video, which came during a disastrous November international break for Ireland. Matt Doherty and James McClean were among the players who tested positive for Covid-19 and there was also a defeat to Wales and a goalless draw against Israel.
Prior to working in the Irish set-up, Kenny had a six-year spell at Dundalk and also coached at Derry City and Shamrock Rovers. He succeeded Mick McCarthy earlier this year but lost on penalties to Slovakia to end hopes of qualifying for the delayed Euro 2020 next summer.